Poles in Michigan, A book devoted to the study of the Polish group in Michigan.The back cover says,
Publishers: "The Poles in Michigan Association" 3061 Penobscot Building, Detroit 26, Michigan.
Editorial Committee: Benjamin C. Stanczyk, Eugene Konstantynowicz (W.J.L.B.), Anthony Rathnaw, Stefan L. Wloszczewski, Eugene Brominski, Anthony Wojsowski.
Published - January 1955.
Cover and VignettesI believe this book was essentially "self published" by this group who probably had the intention of writing/publishing additional volumes. To date, I have not been able to locate any additional volumes so I don't know if there actually were any or not.
Designed by Anatol Girs
High Point Offset Corporation, Detroit
Printed by the Glow Press
I bought the book hoping to find information about notable people among Detroit's Polonia and I wasn't disappointed. It's full of information about the local Polish community as well as information about famous Poles who had ties to Michigan/Detroit.
Here's the Table of Contents:
- Kazimierz Pulaski-Hero of Two Worlds - Stanislaw Janicki
- Polonia, and It's American Contribution - S.B. Stefan
- The Polish Pioneers on the North American Continent - S.B. Stefan
- The Trail of hte Polish Emigrants in Michigan - Dr. Stefan Wloszczewski
- Michigan's Foremost Polish Priest - Rev. Joseph Swastek
- Posen-The history of an old Polish Settlement in Northern Michigan - Dr. Stefan Wloszczewski
- First Polish Settlers in Detroit - Dr. Ludwik Gozdawa
- The Origin and Growth of the First Polish Parish in Detroit - Dr. Ludwik Gozdawa
- The Rise and Growth of the Polish National Alliance in Detroit - Benjamin Stanczyk
- Father Dabrowski-The Polish Seminary - Rev. Joseph Swastek
- The Oldest Polish Village in Michigan - Rev. Joseph Swastek
- The Educational Work of the Felician Sisters in Michigan - Sister Mary Jeremiah C.S.S.F.
- History of the Polish Press in Detroit - R. Jazabkowska
- Central Citizen's Committee - Clara Swieczkowski
- Polish Merchants in Michigan - A. Wojsowski
- Polish Art Collections in Michigan - Stanislaw Janicki
- H. Sienkiewicz in Detroit - W. Witkowski
- Henryk Sienkiewicz-World Famous Author - Dr. Arthur P. Coleman
- The Significance of Polish Literature in America - Edmund Ordon
- Polish Studies at Wayne University - Edmund Ordon
- A Selection of Polish Literature in English Translation.