Thursday, January 19, 2006

Ancestry.com at the Library

(Snow on holly bush, outside my home. January 2006)

I went to the library today to access Ancestry. I miss being able to access it from home but I don’t have a subscription anymore. My community library just recently installed free wi-fi access so I don’t have to use the library computers and save everything to my thumb drive anymore. Now I just take my laptop along and I can access Ancestry on it at the library and save pages/images directly to my hard drive. It’s not as convenient as access from home but it’s the next best thing.

I spent 2 hours at the library this evening on the Ancestry web site. I was in search of WWI Draft Registration cards. I hit the jackpot and found a dozen or so cards for family members. Found some new details for family members too. I didn’t know my grandfather had a middle name. I’d never come across it on any of the other documents I have for him (including his baptismal record). I just love finding little known details like that!

I wonder what happened to the Detroit city directory for 1920/21 that used to be accessible on Ancestry. It seems to be gone now and I really miss it. It was a relatively convenient way to look up house numbers and re-numbers in the city. Now I have to make a trip down to the Detroit Public Library to peruse the directory. That’s so inconvenient. But I guess I’ll have to make the trip.