Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Evening in Ann Arbor

(B&W images from University of Michigan campus in Ann Arbor, MI)

These photos are the ones my teacher and classmates chose as their favorites from the batch of photos I took for our first assignment. The instructions were to look for good shadow and lighting scenes as well as images with strong lines. I like both of these images but they weren't my favorites.

I made two trips to Ann Arbor: Saturday evening to take advantage of the setting sun and Sunday morning to take advantage of the morning sun. These two shots were from Saturday's batch. The first image is one of the U of M Law School buildings, the second image is of a parking structure at the U of M Business School.

I under exposed the Law School image for more drama and also added a cross screen filter to catch the sun reflecting off the windows. It's not a bad picture. I was able to achieve the mood I was looking for and that's always a good thing.

The parking structure is a picture that I wouldn't have taken. My husband came up with the idea and it worked out well. It too is a strong image with the angled lines and dark shades. It doesn't do much for me but if you're into that sort of thing I guess it's OK.

I have to admit I had a really good time walking around campus and taking pictures. It's been quite a while since I was a student there and there's lots of new architecture. I want to go back again when the weather warms up and there are leaves on the trees. Ann Arbor is such a great town and the U of M is the best!