Friday, April 28, 2006

Photo Phun

(Spring in Plymouth, MI)

I'm having a lot of fun in my Photography class but I don't know how much I'm learning.

The teacher, Sara Masson, is a wonderful teacher. The problem is, she isn't teaching much. The first class was chock full of great information but since then there's been less and less information shared. We haven't had much in the way of assignments... first to shoot in black and white and learn our cameras. And next we went to Plymouth for a photo shoot.

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed the Plymouth photo shoot. And I really enjoyed going to Ann Arbor to shoot my black and white photos too. The problem is without an assigned theme or objective I don't have much to measure myself against to decide if I'm getting any better at taking good photos. And the teacher doesn't do much teaching from the photos we bring in either. For the most part, she lets the people in class share their comments about our photos but she's pretty tight lipped herself. But being that she's a professional, hers is the opinion I value the most.


When we're not critiquing our photos, we spend hours each class period watching a DVD about the history of photography or checking out "the year in pictures" from the MSN web site. Both have been entertaining but I'd rather be listening to my teacher lecture on the finer points of photography. The DVD and web site I can watch/view at my leisure at home. I'm hungry for real information!