Friday, May 19, 2006

Family Reunions - Detroit Style

I've always wanted to go to a family reunion but to the best of my knowledge, none of my relatives have ever organized one. So why don't I do it, you ask? Actually, I did host a very small reunion last year for the smallest branch on my family tree. I'm glad it did it but I'm not going to do it for the other 3 branches on my family tree. I'm already the family historian, researcher, etc. I have plenty to do just trying to keep the research going. I'd like someone else to put forth the effort to plan the reunion.

In the event that any of my relatives are reading this Blog, or for anyone interested in organizing a reunion for their families, I'd like to mention that the Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau will help you with the planning. They will help to:
  • Secure bids for hotel accommodations
  • Suggest banquet facilities
  • Help secure picnic site reservations
  • Help arrange city tours and transportation
  • Help secure special discounts at area attractions, restaurants and shopping venues
  • Provide Visit Detroit magazines, welcome bags and other print materials
  • Direct you to helpful contacts for:
  • Governor's office for welcome letter
  • Mayor's office Family Reunion Certificate
  • Detroit City Council
  • Spirit of Detroit Award
  • Distinguished Service Award
  • Award of Recognition
  • Provide a free Family Reunion Program Resource Book

You can get forms to request their help and more information on their web site. It sounds like a great deal of fun. If you're considering a family reunion this year, you might want to get in touch with the planning folks and let them do some of the work for you! Summer is just around the corner and that's the ideal time for a family reunion!

Images from Greenfield Village