Tuesday, May 02, 2006

A Smile and a Nod from the Genealogy God

(Glass blower and finished work from Greenfield Village, Dearborn, MI)

Oh, it's a good day! It's one of those days when a little something good comes your way unexpectedly and you can't help but feel the joy.

Back on
March 24th, I posted an entry about my disappointment over having received a letter from the State of Michigan Department of Health indicating that they couldn't find a record of my great aunt's marriage. I knew there had to be a record somewhere and was frustrated that they couldn't find it. So I figured I'd just have to make a trip to the state library in Lansing and look it up myself... someday, when I had enough other things to look up to justify the trip.

In the mean time, I've been trying to figure out how to work the marriage date into my novel... depending on when it was and what other events were going on at the time.

Out of the blue, I received in the mail today a copy of my great aunt's marriage certificate from the State of Michigan Department of Health... no letter of explanation as to why it took so long to find it, just a copy of the certificate. But hey, I don't really care why it took so long. I'm just thrilled to have it! And the date wasn't what I'd expected so it's a good thing I waited to get the information before writing another revision of my novel!



Truthfully, I haven't done much rewriting or editing of my novel for a couple of reasons. One, because I just have too much else on my plate these days. And two, because when I did make an attempt to sit down and edit my first chapter according to the guidelines of self editing, I ended up cutting out the whole first chapter! Nothing I had written seemed to be helping develop the characters or move the plot along. So I pretty much gave up in frustration and decided to tackle it again at a later date. And that date just hasn't come yet ;-)