Wednesday, June 14, 2006

St. Hedwig Cemetery Gravestone Images


Sunshine, blues skies, and temps in the mid 70s. It doesn't get any better than this in Michigan. So I decided to play hooky today ;-)

My truck was calling to me, "Let's cruise", it chanted over and over again.

The temptation was too great for me to resist. You wouldn't be able to resist if you had a cool truck like me either ;-)

So I grabbed my camera, got behind the wheel, cranked open the sunroof, put some tunes on (today's choice was The Doors Greatest Hits... Touch Me, LA Woman, Light My Fire, et. al.), and headed for Hines Drive... my favorite place for cruzin. My cousin called today. He wanted some photos of gravestones from St. Hedwig Cemetery. Sounded like a good destination to me.

I spent about 1.5 hours walking the cemetery and photographing gravestones. I figured since I was there anyway I might as well take photos of any gravestones that had any names from my family tree... or my friends' family trees. I just walked the oldest section where the gravestones are mostly of the vertical variety. The result is 87 images that I've uploaded to my web site. The gravestones I photographed were for the surnames:

Baran
Cieslak
Dubiel
Gill
Golec
Jaracz
Jawojsz
Kaminski
Kielbasa
Kietrys
Kilian
Kolodziej
Kowalski
Kurdziel
Kwilos
Lesniek
Leszczynski
Lis
Mazur
Michon
Mizera
Mizerowski
Mucha

Nawrocka
Niemiec
Nykiel
Opiela
Ostrowski
Pastula
Piasecka
Poniatowski
Postula
Prokop
Prus
Sajdak
Skowron
Trybus
Tylec
Wegrzyn
Wendyker
Wisniewski
Wojciechowski
Zajac
Zmuda

I'm left with grass stains on my white tennies, a blister on my left foot, and a bit of sunburn on my arms. But it was worth it! I got lots of good gravestone photos and soaked up a lot of vitamin D. Any day spent doing genealogy research is a good day. But make that day sunny and warm and make that research outdoors and it's just about heaven...