Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Another day of research

I spent Saturday at the Detroit Public Library doing the last bit of research that time will allow me before the NaNoWriMo starts. I still wasn't able to establish the parenthood of the two children (John and Katherine LIPA) who are buried at Mt. Elliott Cemetery. I rechecked the parish records from St. Albertus (where John was baptized) but due to fire/flood there are no death records for the time period when the children died. I also checked the parish records for St. Mary's in Parisville, MI (a known Polish parish) and St. Casimir in Detroit (the only other Polish parish in the Detroit archdiocese at the time) as well as St. Joseph (German parish). No luck.

I did manage to get through the Sweetest Heart of Mary parish films again and found a couple of records I didn't have although they are for individuals that won't appear in the novel I'll be writing.

The one bright spot in the day was that I was able to get the Sanborn maps I wanted in a usable format (.pdf). Yeah! So it definitely wasn't a wasted trip.

And after I left the library I took advantage of the opportunity to stroll around Comerica Park a couple of hours before the gates opened for game 1 of the World Series. I took a few pictures and uploaded them to my Picasa album. There was definitely excitement in the air and more television broadcasting vehicles than I've ever seen in one place at one time before. I walked up to the locked gates and waved to a guy setting up a booth to sell the official programs for the World Series. He was kind enough to sell me one and I was home with program in hand in time to catch the first pitch. Go Tigers!