Monday, November 26, 2007

Detroit Aglow

I'm still trying to get caught up on the blogging about all the fun stuff I did two weekends ago. Tonight I'd like to share with you the beauty of Detroit at Christmastime.

I know, I know… Last week Detroit got some bad press for being named the number one most dangerous city in America (according to FBI crime statistics). Detroit's mayor and chief of police were busy spinning that story to make it sound flawed, but truthfully Detroit has some dangerous areas. I suppose you could debate whether it is the most dangerous city, the second most dangerous city, or the fourth most dangerous city. The bottom line is there's a lot of crime in Detroit and it would be foolish to forget that. Sure, there are some pockets of the city that are safer than others, the immediate downtown area being one of them. But watch out for the neighborhoods. You can get in trouble real fast if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Now that we have that behind us I would like to point out that Detroiters and suburbanites alike come together often for festive and cultural events, enjoy themselves, and return to their homes without bullet holes in them. Two weekends ago Detroit had a party to celebrate the lighting of their official Christmas tree. I stopped by to take a few photos on my way home from seeing Mazowsze at the Music Hall.