Sunday, December 30, 2007

My Blogging Year in Review, 2007

I didn't set any goals for myself in terms of blogging for 2007 but I accomplished quite a bit even without them. When I look back on the year I'm a bit surprised at how much I was able to write. I often feel like something of a slacker because I can't produce the volume and quality of work that my blogging buddies who are retired can. But I think I've done all right for a part-timer.
Not a bad body of work all things considered. I'm rather pleased with it.

What did I enjoy writing the most? Without a doubt it was the 24 posts for the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories. Not only was I writing about a happy subject but I was writing from memory… my favorite way to write. I guess that suggests I should be writing a personal blog instead of a genealogy blog, eh? The truth is, I don't mind doing research for a blog article. In fact I enjoy it. What I don't enjoy, and truly detest, is footnoting and all the technical details involved in putting together a professional, academic-caliber piece. I guess that's why writing fiction appeals to me… no rules! LOL! I guess we know who won't be receiving the footnote Maven's "Good Citations Stamp" anytime soon ;-)

So what did you enjoy reading the most?

I'm still playing around with the idea of creating a format for my blog (e.g. Monday is photography day, Tuesday is genealogy day, etc.). On the one hand I'd like to be able to pre-write my blog posts. I did that with about 1/3 of my 24 Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories posts. It took a lot of pressure off me and made the writing process more enjoyable. On the other hand, I bristle at the idea of having to conform to "rules" on my blog even if they are of my own making. I may give it a try though just to see if I like it. That's not an official new year's resolution by the way, just something I'm thinking about ;-)

Any thoughts on the idea?

Tomorrow I'll post my new year's resolutions for 2008.