The Library of Michigan is pleased to announce that the 2009 Abrams Genealogy Seminar will take place on Friday and Saturday, July 17-18 at the Michigan Library & Historical Center in Lansing.
This fourth annual Library of Michigan signature event represents a unique opportunity for researchers to spend two full days at the Library utilizing our vast array of genealogy resources and learning about specific topics of interest including cemetery research, Michigan death records, online research for the British Isles, New England area research and much more.
A highlight of the seminar will be a keynote address, co-sponsored by the Eaton County Genealogical Society, featuring Stephen Morse, famous for his outstanding One-Step Webpages at stephenmorse.org. These online tools are an invaluable resource for genealogists for topics as diverse as Ellis Island ship lists, U.S., Canadian, and British census records, and even calendar conversions and language translation.
As in previous years, the Abrams Seminar will include a library and archives research track, in which facilities with extensive genealogical and historical holdings will outline their collections. Participating libraries and archives include the Library of Michigan, the Archives of Michigan, the Burton Historical Collection at Detroit Public Library, the Capital Area District Library in Lansing and the Allen County (Ind.) Public Library.
The schedule for the seminar is as follows:Friday, July 17
- 12:30 - 1 p.m.
- A. Archives of Michigan Tour
- 1:15 - 1:45 p.m.
- B. Library of Michigan Tour
- 2 - 3 p.m.
- D. Researching Your Female Ancestors
- - Edwina Morgan, Library of Michigan
- E. Michigan Biographical Index
- - James N. Jackson, Professional Researcher
- F. Genealogical Research at the Library of Michigan
- - Randy Riley, Library of Michigan
- 3:15 - 4:15 p.m.
- F. Cemetery Records: Dying to Get in There!
- - Karen Krugman, Professional Researcher
- G. The Ultimate Michigan Civil War Resource
- - Mark Harvey, Archives of Michigan
- H. Resources from the Forest Parke Library & Archives Collection
- - David Votta, Capital Area District Library, Lansing
- 9:30 - 11:30 a.m.
- I. Welcome & keynote address: One-Step Webpages: A Potpourri of Genealogical Search Tools
- - Stephen Morse
- 11:30 a.m. - noon
- J. Presentation of the Carole Callard Genealogy Appreciation Award
- Noon - 1 p.m.
- 1 - 2 p.m.
- K. One-Step Webpages: A Hodgepodge of Lesser-Known Gems
- - Stephen Morse
- 2:15 - 3:15 p.m.
- L. Casting the "Net" Over Your British Isles Ancestors
- - Richard M. Doherty, Professional Researcher
- M. Genealogy 2.0: Social Networking and Family History
- - Gloriane Peck, Library of Michigan
- N. Treasures for Researchers at the Genealogy Center in Fort Wayne
- - Curt Witcher, Allen County Public Library
- 3:30 - 4:30 p.m.
- O. Researching Your New England Ancestors
- - Charles Hagler, Library of Michigan
- P. Seeking Michigan Death Records? A New Digitization Project
- - Kris Rzepczynski, Library of Michigan
- Q. Research at the Burton Historical Collection at the Detroit Public Library
- - Mark Bowden, Detroit Public Library