Monday, January 04, 2010

Carnival of Genealogy, 87th Edition


Welcome to the January 4, 2010 edition of the Carnival of Genealogy. The topic for this edition is: New Year Resolutions! We're starting the year off with 66 articles detailing the participating genealogy blogger's plans for their family history and genealogy research for 2010. We will certainly be a busy bunch this year!

Because this edition of the COG was promoted via the Genea-bloggers group on Facebook, there was a deluge of articles submitted. I can't imagine anyone reading through all 66 articles in one sitting so I've put them in groups of 10 with an identifying letter/number to more easily reference where you left off when you come back to reading.

The cold winds of January are blowing and there's nothing like a nice hot mug of peppermint tea to warm you up. So pour yourself some tea, grab a handful of the leftover Christmas cookies or fruitcake (pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to "freshen" them), and check out this extra large collection of articles. The carnival is on for 2010!

A1 Elizabeth presents Uncorked: My Goals for 2010 posted at Little Bytes of Life, saying, "2010 promises to bring exciting changes and new challenges. But as long as 2009 goes away, I'll be happy!"

A2 Randy Seaver presents Genealogy Goals and Dreams for 2010 posted at Genea-Musings, saying, "tried to set achievable goals and describe wild dreams for his 2010 genealogy adventures."

A3 LOOKING4ANCESTORS presents Ch-ch-ch-Changes and Genea-goals for 2010 posted at LOOKING4ANCESTORS, saying, "Kathryn shares the changes that are happening at her blog LOOKING4ANCESTORS, plus her own personal genealogy goals for 2010 as well as announcing her four new family history blogs."

A4 LOOKING4ANCESTORS presents Just One Genea-Goal for 2010 posted at The Lake Family of Lincolnshire, saying, "Kathryn has just one genealogy goal for 2010 for this ancestral line of her family. Read her post to find out what it is."

A5 LOOKING4ANCESTORS presents Genea-goal 2010: Proving William Ryckman posted at Our Ryckman Roots, saying, "Achieving these goals may result in happy genea-dancing!"

A6 LOOKING4ANCESTORS presents George Family Genea-Goals 2010 posted at George Family Gleanings, saying, "Starting a new genealogy blog focusing on my Welsh roots is one of my genea-goals for 2010, and since it's still 2009, I guess I'm off to a good start. Read Kathryn's post to find out more about her goals for 2010."

A7 LOOKING4ANCESTORS presents My Walsall Way Wishes for 2010 posted at Walsall Ways, saying, "Connecting with cousins across the pond is one of the goals I have to achieving genea-bliss in 2010."

A8 M. Diane Rogers presents New Year's Genea-Resolutions - 2010 - Carnival of Genealogy posted at CanadaGenealogy, or, 'Jane's Your Aunt', saying, "My 2010 genealogy goals are similar to 2009's, but mainly involve more scanning, more organizing and, from both these tasks, more sharing of my personal genealogy research. And I want to have some fun while I'm working and encourage others to join in."

A9 Joan Miller presents Genealogy Goals for 2010 posted at Luxegen Genealogy and Family History, saying, "Digitize, DNA, GG and more!"

A10 Greta Koehl presents New Year’s Genealogy Resolutions for 2010 posted at Greta's Genealogy Bog, saying, "Though I admire the courageous people who resolve not to resolve anything but to let life lead them where it may and let their research guide them rather than the other way around, I have to publicly shame myself into doing the hard work I know that I will need to do. Thus, my resolutions - it's the only way."



B1 Tina Lyons presents 2010 Genealogy Goals - 87th Carnival of Genealogy posted at Tina's Genealogical Wish List.

B2 Whitney McKim presents 2010 Genealogical Resolutions posted at MyNeChimKi's Genealogical Services, saying, "I'm beginning to become more serious about my genealogy. Therefore, I'm taking this epic year (2010) to focus and do more quality work and educate myself further. I have resolved..."

B3 Thomas MacEntee presents My Personal New Year's Genealogy Resolutions posted at Destination: Austin Family, saying, "For my 2010 genealogy resolutions I set out seven simple steps to having a better genealogy experience - will I make it? Will it be that simple? Stay tuned."

B4 Gayle Gresham presents 2009 - What A Year! 2010 - Bring It ON! posted at Colorado Reflections.

B5 Kathryn Doyle presents Blog Resolutions For 2010 posted at California Genealogical Society and Library blog, saying, "Blog resolutions go hand-in-hand with my marketing and "Internet Presence" duties for the California Genealogical Society. I crossed a big one off the list just last week!"

B6 Leah Kleylein presents Random Notes: 2010 Genea-Resolutions (COG 87) posted at Random Notes, saying, "5 Genea-Resolutions/Promises for 2010"

B7 Caroline Pointer presents Genealogy: To Know Them Is To Know Me posted at Family Stories, saying, "What my one focus has been all along on my blog."

B8 Tracy presents A Checkered Past, A Better Future posted at The Pieces of My Past, saying, "My plans for the upcoming year and the new decade."

B9 Margo M. presents 2010 Genealogy Goals | Briley Genealogy posted at Margo, saying, "NewYear, new page, and hopefully, resolutions kept."

B10 Miriam Robbins Midkiff presents Resolutions 2010 posted at AnceStories: The Stories of My Ancestors, saying, "After an unsuccessful 2009, I've narrowed my goals to three: two realistic, and one from my wish list."



C1 Regina presents Getting It Done In 2010 posted at Kinfolk News: Random Thoughts and Research Notes, saying, "Just two but I'll be working on them all year!"

C2 Dru Pair presents Find Your Folks: 2010 New Years Genealogy Goals posted at Find Your Folks, saying, "Professor Dru's 2010 genealogy goals and assessment of 2009 goals."

C3 Judy Cole presents New Year Resolutions posted at The Genealogy Gals.

C4 Donna M. Moughty presents Genealogy Resolutions for 2010 posted at Donna's Genealogy Blog, saying, "Here are some resolutions not only for 2010, but also for the new decade."

C5 Susan A. Kitchens presents How can I help you with your resolutions for 2010? posted at Family Oral History Using Digital Tools [News], saying, "I've done the big ambitious list of what I want to accomplish for the year. Nope, not doing that. (though I DO have plans). I'm turning the tables this year in what constitutes MY resolution. It has to do with helping you with YOUR resolution."

C6 Steve Danko presents Genealogical Resolutions for 2010 posted at Steve's Genealogy Blog, saying, "I accomplished two of my five resolutions for 2009. The other three resolutions from 2009 remain on my list for 2010, and I've added two more resolutions just to make sure I don't slack off in the New Year!"

C7 Al Wierzba presents Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research: My 2010 Genealogy Goals posted at Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research.

C8 Leah presents Resolutions for 2010 posted at The Internet Genealogist, saying, "I don't really have any resolutions so I chose to write about the things I'd like to keep in mind more in the coming year."

C9 TK presents 2010: The Year of Getting Stuff Organized posted at Before My Time, saying, "My resolution is simple... do some grunt work so I can get MORE STUFF!!"

C10 Sheri Fenley presents You Say You Want A Resolution, Well You Know . . . posted at The Educated Genealogist.



D1 Jasia presents Resolutions for 2010 posted at Creative Gene.

D2 Donna Pointkouski presents Here We Go Again: Genea-Resolutions posted at What's Past is Prologue, saying, "Donna Pointkouski reviews last year's genea-goals and firmly resolves to try harder this year!"

D3 Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith presents Follower Friday - My 2010 Genealogy Resolutions posted at Dr. Bill Tells Ancestor Stories, saying, "My 2010 Genealogy Resolutions - thank you for the opportunity; I would generally not write them down, but it was a really good exercise. Hope each of you have a positive experience with it as well. I've also enjoyed reading the early ones posted, as well!"

D4 Liza presents New Year's Genealogical Goals posted at Folk Archivist's Blog.

D5 Ruth Stephens presents 87th Carnival of Genealogy: The Little Engine That Could* posted at Bluebonnet Country Genealogy.

D6 Tami Glatz presents My 2010 New Year's Resolutions posted at relatively curious about genealogy.

D7 John Newmark presents 2010 Genealogy Resolutions? posted at TransylvanianDutch, saying, "I resolve to continue my family history research, and I resolve to continue to breathe. Pretty much the same thing."

D8 Kathy Buirrow presents Finishing the unfinished or where to I go from here in the coming year. posted at Kat's Mountain.

D9 Liz Haigney Lynch presents Carnival of Genealogy: New Year’s Resolutions! « The Ancestral Archaeologist posted at The Ancestral Archaeologist.

D10 Carol presents 87th Carnival Of Genealogy, New Year's Resolutions posted at Reflections From the Fence, saying, "Resolutions, bumps in the road or opportunities? Neither, I now think it is the journey that matters."



E1 Jennifer Shaw presents New Years GeneaResolutions 2010 posted at ShawGenealogy, saying, "My goals to complete in 2010."

E2 Apple presents I Firmly Resolve posted at Apple's Tree, saying, "I firmly resolve that, come hell or high water, I will......."

E3 Pam Warren presents New Year's Resolutions, Goals, or Whatever They Are posted at Granny's Genealogy, saying, "Things are piling up in Granny's genealogical world! No clear plan yet, but a goal of taming the monster, and a new acronym invented: DWTD!"

E4 Kim Eisman presents Carnival of Genealogy- 2010- Brick Walls, Paper Piles, Proof, & Expansion posted at Ancestors of mine from Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky & beyond, saying, "2010 Resolutions in All Their Glory."

E5 Frances Ellsworth presents New Year's Resolutions and Other Hopes. posted at Branching Out Through The Years.

E6 Wendy Littrell presents I Resolve To . . . (2010 Edition) posted at All My Branches Genealogy, saying, "I wasn't as ambitious in my resolutions as I was last year, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the 5 I listed I'll be able to accomplish!"

E7 Bill West presents West in New England: GENEA-RESOLUTIONS FOR 2010 posted at West in New England, saying, "Eternal genea-optimist that I am, I'm ready for another year of genealogy research and fun!"

E8 Susan C Pentico presents My Resolutions, Enhancing my Research, Carnival Bound posted at Susi's Chatty Performances on Genealogy.

E9 Geniaus presents New Year's Resolutions! Carnival of Genealogy 87th Edition posted at Geniaus, saying, "My first task is to repost and evaluate my list of resolutions for 2009"

E10 Antra presents Genealogy Goals for 2010 posted at Discovering Latvian Roots.



F1 Becky Wiseman presents Ain't Makin' No Resolutions! posted at Kinexxions.

F2 Midge Frazel presents Time to Plan posted at Granite in My Blood, saying, "Keeping better records of who I have helped, what we accomplished, and the dates we did it are part of my goals for the coming year. Isn't March the beginning of the new year?"

F3 Amy Coffin presents COG 87 - New Year's Genealogy Resolutions posted at We Tree, saying, " Amy looks back at her 2009 resolutions and offers up some goals for 2010."

F4 Melody Lassalle presents My Genealogy Goals for 2010 posted at The Research Journal.

F5 Cheryl Fleming Palmer presents My Wish for 2010 posted at Heritage Happens, saying, "After Christmas I still have a wish? What could it be? Can it come true? Can 2010 take care of that wish? Is this a wish or a resolution?"

F6 Shauna Hicks presents New Year Genie Aspirations - In 2010 I Will posted at Shauna Hicks, saying, "These ten points summarise how I plan to progress my family history research and share my knowledge with other family members and friends in 2010."

F7 Family Tree Gal, Carolyn presents New Year. New Goals. How About You? posted at Family Tree Quest's Blog, saying, " Now that I've recovered from spinal surgery, 2010 is bound to be great!"

F8 Carol Wilkerson presents COG - Modest Genealogy Goals For 2010 posted at iPentimento | Genealogy and History, saying, "I made some genealogy goals for 2010. Come check them out."

F9 Jessica Oswalt presents My 2010 Genealogy Resolutions posted at Jessica's Genejournal, saying, "My genealogy research goals for 2010."

F10 Amanda Acquard presents Goals for the New Year posted at A Tale of Two Ancestors.



G1 Terri O'Connell presents 2010 New Years Resolotions posted at Finding Our Ancestors.

G2 Tonia Kendrick presents Reflections and Resolutions posted at Tonia's Roots, saying, "Anniversaries invite us to reflect, review, and plan for the future. The two-year anniversary of this blog, combined with the year-end, put me in a particularly reflective mood. I’ve been thinking about what I’ve accomplished and what goals I want to set for the coming year. . ."

G3 J.M. presents New Year's Resolutions posted at Tracing My Roots, saying, " I have a few resolutions for this year. Some of them are very blog oriented at first glance, but really, they just help my research stay on track"

G4 Julie Cahill Tarr presents 2009 Achievements & 2010 Resolutions posted at GenBlog, saying, "A look at my accomplishments from 2009 and my plans for 2010."

G5 Cyndi Beane Henry presents COG - New Year's Resolution[s] posted at Mountain Genealogists, saying, "My New Year's Resolution[s]"

G6 footnoteMaven presents Putting on the Pearls posted at footnoteMaven. My mistake for not including Maven's ever so creative post. Better late than never!


Whew! Did you take notes? It will be interesting to see how far we get with our plans this year!

Call for Submissions! (blank)

No, that's not a mistake. There are changes coming to the COG this year and I'll be detailing them in a separate post later today. The call for submissions for the next edition will appear in that post as well. Stay tuned!

Thanks for another great poster, fM!

Technorati tags:

, .