St. Hedwig Catholic Church, Detroit
Address: 3245 Junction, Detroit, MI 48210
Phone: (313) 894-5409
Facebook: St Hedwig - Detroit, Michigan
Current Parish Status: Active
School in Operation: Yes in 1985, elementary students-230; high school-330; Fransicsan Sisters of St. Joseph. Not currently open.
Year Parish Founded: 1903
Year Present Church was Built: 1927-28
First Pastor: Rev. Fr. J. Miller
Pastor in 1985: Rev. Fr. John J. Mikula
Current Pastor (2010): Rev. Robert J Wojciechowski
Mass Schedule in 1985: Saturday 6:00pm (English); 7:00am (English), 9:00am (English), 10:30am (Polish), 12:00pm (English)
Current Mass Schedule (2010): Saturday 4pm, Sunday 10:30am (Spanish), Wednesday 8:30pm (Spanish)
No. of Families in Parish in 1985: 800
Percentage of Polish Descent in 1985: 75-80%
Considered as a Polish Ethnic Parish in 1985: Yes
Polish Religious Traditions Preserved in 1985: Yes
Location: West side
The west side "Dom Polski" is located in the boundaries of St. Hedwig parish. When it was open, the center sponsored a variety of programs, among them a Polish Folk Dance Ensemble.
St. Hedwig is home to the West Side Detroit Polish American Historical Society.
St. Hedwig High School closed in 1990.
St. Hedwig Elementary School closed in 1995.
Visit the parish web site www.sthedwigchurch.org for more information about this parish.
The Souvenir book of the jubilee of St. Hedwig Parish, 1903-1928 and the Diamond Jubilee book, 1903-1978 have been cataloged and are searchable on the PGSA web site.
The following microfilms of St. Hedwig church records are available at the Burton Historical Collection of the Detroit Public Library: Film No.1043
Reel 1: Baptisms August 1903-January 1925
Reel 2: Baptisms July 1912-June 1919
Reel 3: Baptisms June 1919-October 1944
Deaths August 1903-December 1941
The Polish Roman Catholic Churches of Metropolitan Detroit by PERC. c. 1985. Used with permission from Michael Krolewski, editor.
An history of St. Hedwig is provided on the parish web site, StHedwigChurch.org.