Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Carnival of Genealogy, 121st Edition

Welcome to the September 4, 2012 edition of the Carnival of Genealogy. The topic for this edition is: Great Discoveries! We're writing about those things that have made us do the "happy dance", amazed and astounded us, or perhaps caused us to shed a tear. These are significant finds and we just had to share them with you! I know you'll be amazed at where and how we have come across the information that led us to these discoveries about our family members.

Summer is over. It's time to put away the beach umbrellas and bikinis. Pour yourself a glass of fresh apple cider and pull up a chair. The Carnival is back in town!

Mel Lassalle presents My Very First Deed posted at The Research Journal, saying, "My first attempt at land research has lead to an original deed and a dying husband's wish."

Joan Hill presents 121st COGs Great Discoveries; Discovering J.P. McPherson's Diary posted at Roots'n'Leaves, saying, "Discovering the diary of my great-great grandfather should have been much easier, if I had only taken in all the information available --- but not so."

Margie A. Rennick presents Carnival of Genealogy: Emotional Discovery in My Research posted at Ancestor Chase, saying, "I am always excited to make discoveries about my great grandfather Eugene Lammay, my biggest brick wall. What I did not expect was to have one of those discoveries upset me and actually make me mad at Eugene!"

Ellie presents How I Found the Mysterious McGarrs of Ballyraggan posted at Ellie's Ancestors.

Smallest Leaf presents Found! A small clue to my family's Jewish connection posted at 100 Years in America, saying, "The legend of a young Jewish orphan raised by Catholic religious sisters who grew up to be mayor of my ancestral village in Croatia has intrigued me for years. Now I've found a clue that might help to shed light on the truth of this tale. Make a stop over at 100 Years in America for the story."

Chery Kinnick presents The 95% Baard Johnson posted at Nordic Blue, saying, "For years, Chery consulted with relatives in search of a single image of an unaccounted-for great great grandfather who died in 1872. Using a little intuition and some deductive reasoning, Chery finally discovers his unmarked photograph hiding in "plain sight.""

Donna presents A Great Discovery posted at What's Past is Prologue, saying, "Donna Pointkouski presents "A Great Discovery" about surprises she found in her great-grandmother's alien registration and naturalization documents."

Julie Goucher presents Anglers Rest: Carnival Of Genealogy 121 - Great Discoveries posted at Anglers Rest, saying, "Great Discoveries"

Katie presents On ordering every record of everyone, ever. posted at You Are Where You Came From, saying, "When I was least expecting it, I found a maiden name on a collateral line, and it changed everything!"

Carol presents 121st Carnival Of Genealogy, Great Discoveries: The Lashbrook Book posted at Reflections From the Fence, saying, "My greatest discovery, 12 pages stuck in the back of a surname book. Twelve pages that continues to drive my research 20 years later."

Leah presents My Greatest Discovery (COG 121) posted at The Internet Genealogist, saying, "Who would have thought an obscure little book with a boring title would be the key to cracking the mysteries of my great-great-grandfather?!"

Dorene Paul presents Old photo of Aunt Bertie and Great Aunt Hilda posted at Graveyard Rabbit of Sandusky Bay, saying, "I did a "Happy Dance" when my cousin in Florida emailed me this great photo of my aunt and great aunt. I had never seen Aunt Hilda's picture before, and since she died so young, it was a wonderful blessing to see this image!"

Cheryl Schulte presents The 30 Year Search posted at Two Sides of the Ocean, saying, "It only took 30 years of hard work and determination, culminating in a wonderful find, to take me back on one line into the mid-1400's. What a thrill!"

Jasia presents September Remembrance posted at :: C R E A T I V E G E N E ::, saying, "The clue came out of nowhere, in an email from an unknown person. Come see what I discovered about members of my family!"

Jessica A. Stern presents Brick Wall Breakthroughs: Theresa Kommer Schmidt Kneisel posted at The Brick Wall Climber, saying, "This is the story of how I quite accidentally broke through a brick wall - of one of my most interesting ancestors, Theresa Kommer, whose husband Joseph was murdered in one of Appleton, Wisconsin's most infamous crimes."

Charles Hansen presents Carnival of Genealogy #121 Discovery posted at Mikkel's Hus, saying, "Well I finally found a Civil War Ancestor, I knew his obit said he was a Civil War veteran, but when he applied for a pension they said he had not been in the Civil War! Maybe a month is not long enough to get a pension?"

That concludes this edition of the COG. Weren't you amazed at all the great discoveries? You just never know where you'll find the clue that will reveal some great information about your family. So keep an open mind and look everywhere, lol!

Call for Submissions! The topic for the next edition of the Carnival of Genealogy will be: School Humor! It's back to school time and we all have a few memories from our school days that never fail to bring a smile or chuckle to us. For the next edition of the COG I challenge you to share one (or more) humorous or embarrassing moments you remember from your school days. Feel free to use fictional names to protect the identity of those involved. It can be something that happened to you or to someone else. You can even share one of those dreadful school pictures of yourself if you dare. We hear so much about school bullying in the news these days and examples are all over YouTube. I thought it would be fun to go in the other direction and share some school laughter. Bring on the humor and share the good ole schools days with generations to come! The deadline for submissions will be October 1st.

[[New Info! Please Read!]]
Submit your blog article to the next edition of the Carnival of Genealogy using the COG submission form. Please note, the blogcarnival.com website has a new look and new management and they have made some changes to the way they do things. You will need to login to the blogcarnival.com web site to submit your articles. If you don't have an account with them you will need to set one up. (I know this seems like an annoyance but it's a good thing because it will cut down on the tremendous amount of spam submissions received.) Please use a descriptive phrase in the title of any articles you submit and/or write a brief description/introduction to your articles in the "comment" box of the blog carnival submission form. This will give readers an idea of what you've written about and hopefully interest them in clicking on your link.

Share |