Sunday, March 04, 2007

Detroit in the Roaring '20s

I was reading the Detroit Yes! forum and found an interesting thread to follow. It posed the following question, "If you could go back in time and visit Detroit from days past, when would you visit?"

As you would expect there was a wide range of answers with the most popular being the 1920s. I thought about it and decided that the 1920s is when I would like to visit the city too. My grandparents had all arrived in the city by then so I'd get to meet them when they were still relatively young. The city was alive in the Roaring '20s and thriving financially (before the 1929 stock market crash that is). Detroit had speakeasys and gangsters, flappers and lively ballrooms filled to capacity. The automobile had come into its own but street cars still crisscrossed the city. It was an exciting time in the city of Detroit... both fun-exciting and dangerous-exciting. Yes, I think the 1920s would be the time I'd most like to visit the city.

What about you? If you could go back in time and visit your city from days past, when would you visit?