Saturday, March 03, 2007

Carnival of Genealogy, 19th Edition



Welcome to the March 4, 2007 edition of Carnival of Genealogy. The theme for this edition is: Shelter from the storm, stories of the home and hearth. It's all about the houses, ours and our ancestors'... and a more diverse group of abodes you can not image! From mansions and commercial buildings to living in a crate-box house, the full gamut of homes are included here. I never cease to be amazed at the wide variety of backgrounds we all come from but this edition of the Carnival bears that out more than any to date. Prepare to be impressed.

Starting us off, Tim Abbott presents Now and Then posted at Walking the Berkshires. Wonderful, wonderful description... then and now... about a family home. Tim observes the changes over the years and sprinkles memories here and there. Enjoy!

Next up, Randy Seaver presents The house I grew up in posted at Genea-Musings, saying, "The only person remotely famous who lived in my childhood home was me." Randy, (a famous genea blogger ;-) shares with us the history of his boyhood home and one of his secret hideouts. Charming home, charming story!

Jasia presents A Family Home/Business posted at Creative Gene. For a time, my Polish immigrant grandparents lived above the bakery they owned. Can you imagine living with those great bakery smells every day? Yum!

I'm not the only one whose family lived in the same building they worked in... footnote Maven shares with us Shelter From the Storm, Stories of the Home and Hearth. posted at footnote Maven. You'll never guess where Zoe, the footnote Maven's great grandfather lived. The only hint I'll give you is that it's a world famous building. Check it out, it's a great story!

Next, Miriam Robbins Midkiff presents 185 River Street posted at AnceStories: The Stories of My Ancestors. Miriam's grandfather built his home and his business himself, then added to them over the years. Miriam tells of her grandparents' home in her biography about her grandfather. Very touching, Miriam.

Becky Wiseman presents The Homes of my Youth posted at kinexxions. Becky's parents converted a garage to a small home for their young family. Her poignant childhood memories add warmth to her vivid descriptions of her home life in America's heartland.

Craig Manson shares with us his father's humble beginnings in a home owned by his great grandmother in The House in Rockport Again posted at GeneaBlogie. Craig never fails to touch us with his family tributes. We feel the love, Craig.

We get a double treat from Apple who shares with us the stories of two family homes. Apple loves summer storms and the small but cozy summer home her family owned near Oneida Lake. First she shares her happy memories of a simple summer cabin in Shelter from the Storm. Then she tells the fascinating story of the Syracuse Baby Camp, a project that once operated from the house her grandparents owned. I never knew such "baby camps" existed. Both posts can be found on her blog The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree.

David Bowles presents The Spring House: Most Important "House" in Family's History posted at Writing the Westward Sagas, saying, "The most important "house" in my family's history wasn't a house at all, but a crude building to store dairy products and other perishables - the spring house on my ancestor Adam Mitchell's farm." This is an interesting story about an ordinary building that played an extraordinary role in providing refuge during the Revolutionary War. David's a great story teller... check it out!

And last but not least, Chris Dunham meant to submit his post A Humble Home in Maine from his blog The Genealogue. Chris always manages to find a humorous slant to things and it turns out his grandmother's home has a slant to it as well. Read his blog post and learn the secret of how Chris lost his marbles...

That concludes this edition of the Carnival of Genealogy. A super "thank you" to all who contributed their articles. You make this Carnival great! The topic of "shelter from the storm" just came to me as I was putting the previous Carnival edition together and after I posted it, I had some second thoughts. I wasn't sure I would get many participating this time around. I feared that like me, others might not have interesting residences to write about. But you all came through with wonderful articles and I think this was one of the best Carnival editions yet. I'd also like to take this opportunity to let you know that I would welcome suggestions for future Carnival topics. I have plenty of ideas but I'm open to others' ideas as well. If you have a suggestion, please share it!

And now comes the Call for Submissions! I actually posted the call for submissions for the next edition of the Carnival of Genealogy a couple days ago in my post A Women's History Challenge. I hope you'll consider writing a tribute to One Woman in this month of March, which is Women's History Month. It's a great opportunity to write about someone special or perhaps someone on the family tree who never married or had children and who has no direct descendants to carry on a memory of them. The deadline for submissions is March 15th. Submit your blog article to the next edition of Carnival of Genealogy using our carnival submission form. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.

Apple, I love your One Woman Widget! I want one!!!

Technorati tags:, .