Tuesday, October 02, 2007

I See Their Faces and Wonder

Do you ever look at faces in a crowd and wonder if you're related to any of them? I do that sometimes. Not so much when I'm looking at faces here in the U.S., but always when I'm looking at faces in Poland. (All of my ancestors were from Poland.)

At 38,518,241, the estimated population of Poland is just slightly larger than the population of California. And all those people live in an area just slightly smaller than the state of New Mexico. When I see their faces in a crowd... in a photo, on a web site, in a book or a movie, I can't help but stare at them and wonder if I am related to these people. They could be my distant cousins, or live next door to one of my family members, or work in the same factory with them.

On the Polish American Forum someone shared a link to a page that has photos from the recently released movie KATYN, which was filmed in Poland with actors and actresses from Poland. As I looked through these photos I stared at the faces and wondered if we share ancestors. I looked for a familiar nose, a similar jaw line, or to see my own eyes looking back at me. Most of the time I don't catch a resemblance. But every once in awhile I see someone that I swear must be a relative of mine. Has that ever happened to you?


Source for the estimated population of Poland is the CIA World Factbook.
Source for the estimated population of California is Wikipedia.