Tuesday, December 15, 2009

December to Remember

December birthdays and anniversaries sometimes get over shadowed by Christmas and New Year celebrations. I think we probably all know someone with a birthday near or on Christmas who has gotten short changed when it came to birthday parties and presents. And then there are the anniversaries that come up... December weddings sound so romantic but those anniversaries probably get lost in the Christmas shuffle all too often. It's a shame, don't you think? I think so and that's why I want to highlight some of my ancestors who had December birthdays and anniversaries.

How many people on your family tree have December birthdays or anniversaries? I didn't know the answer to that question off the top of my head so I ran a search in Legacy and here's what I discovered...

  • 61 people on my family tree (which totals 2652 individuals) have December birthdates. June birthdates also total 62. Only the month of August has fewer birthdates with 60.

  • 13 people (including myself) were baptized in December.

  • 4 people on my family tree were born and died in December.

  • 4 couples married in the month of December.
Surprising how few people on my tree I have birth dates for (only 34%). But then again, many people don't like to share their birth dates for fear of identity theft. I suspect most of the people I don't have birth dates for are still living.

Anyway... back to those December babies, brides, and grooms.

I'm not going to list the names of living family members with birth dates in December because they probably wouldn't appreciate me broadcasting their names here on this blog. But here is a list of 24 of those 60 family members, now deceased, who were born in December.

Arnal, Carey (1st cousin 1x removed)
Bober, Stefan (2nd great granduncle)
Dubiel, Catherine (1st cousin 1x removed)
Dubiel, John Frank (brother to Catherine, also my 1st cousin 1x removed)
Hnidy, John Joseph (uncle by marriage)
Jaczek, Mariana (related by marriage)
Kubon, Tomasz (4th great grandfather)
Laska, Jozef (1st cousin 3x removed)
Laska, Kazimierz (2nd great grandfather)
Lipa, Adam (great granduncle)
Lipa, Frank John (granduncle)
Lipa, John (1st cousin twice removed's wife's 1st cousin)
Lipa, Marianna (1st cousin 3 times removed's wife's niece)
Michon, Walter (2nd cousin 2x removed)
Mizera, Jozef (1st cousin 3x removed)
Mizera, Ladislaw (2nd cousin 2x removed)
Nelson, Darryl R. (husband of 2nd cousin)
Poniatowski, Henry (1st cousin once removed's husband's brother)
Ronowski, Florence (1st cousin once removed)
Ronowski, Mary (grandaunt's husband's sister)
Tabaka, Adam (grandaunt's husband's brother)
Tabaka, John (husband of grandaunt)
Wegrzyn, Julianna (2nd cousin 2x removed)
Wnek, Edward (uncle by marriage)

Of the 13 family members who were baptized in December, those now deceased are:

Krawczyk, Marianna (1st cousin 3x removed)
Lasky, Genevieve (aunt)
Lipa, Karolina (1st cousin twice removed's wife's aunt's husband's niece)
Lipa, Marianna (1st cousin 3 times removed's wife's niece)
Mizera, Jan (1st cousin 2x removed)
Mizera, Jozef (1st cousin 3x removed)
Mizera, Jozef (2nd cousin 2x removed)

The 4 family members who were born and died in December were:

Dubiel, Catherine (1st cousin 1x removed)
Dubiel, John Frank (brother to Catherine and also my 1st cousin 1x removed)
Michon, Walter (2nd cousin 2x removed)
Tabaka, John (husband of grandaunt)

Of the 4 couples who were married in December, only one couple is now deceased. That would be Marianna Laska and Jozef Czech who were married on December 28, 1906 in Podborze, Poland. (Marianna was my 1st cousin 3x removed.)

To all of my family members, those living and deceased, who have/had birthdays or anniversaries in December... I'm thinking of you this December and wishing you a

Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary!