Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Polish Catholic Churches of Wyandotte, St Helena

St. Helena Catholic Church, Wyandotte

Address: 757 Forest, Wyandotte, MI 48192
Phone was: 284-4988
Current Parish Status: Closed September 13, 2008
School in Operation: No
First Year Parish Founded: 1925
Year Church was Built: 1926
First Pastor: Rev. Fr. Marowka
Pastor in 1985: Rev. Fr. Joseph Janiga
Administrator at time of closing: Rev. Walter J. Ptak
Mass Schedule in 1985: Saturday 7:00pm (English); Sunday 8:00am (English), 10:30am (Polish), 12:15pm (English)
No. of Families in Parish in 1985: 175
Percentage of Polish Descent in 1985: 75%
Considered as a Polish Ethnic Parish: Yes
Polish Religious Traditions Preserved: Yes

The elementary school was run by the the Sisters of Holy Family of the Nazareth.

Rev. Fr. Joseph Karasiewicz, former pastor of Immaculate Conception was to be assigned as administrator of this parish. Father died at St. Hyacinth Church shortly after the demolition of Immaculate Conception Church.

You can read about the last Mass and closing of St. Helena parish here.

Some information from, "The Polish Roman Catholic Churches of Metropolitan Detroit" by PERC. c. 1985. Used with permission from Michael Krolewski, editor.

No comments:

Post a Comment