Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Carnival of Genealogy, 105th Edition


Welcome to the May 4, 2011 edition of the Carnival of Genealogy. The topic for this edition is: Favorite Current Technology! We're taking a look at the technology that helps us with our genealogy research and recording our family histories. Genealogists sometimes have the image of being a bunch of old fuddy-duddies pouring over dusty books in libraries or reading histories by candlelight... what a joke! Check out this edition of the COG to dispel those images!!! We're die hard techies! Of course we do spend time in libraries and reading books but as often as not the libraries are online and we read the books on our eReaders. This is the digital age and we're proud to be a part of it! Pour yourself an energy drink of your choice (we all need a boost for that late night research when you're on a roll and just can't stop) and tune in to the reviews of our favorite technology. The Carnival is back in town!

Dorene Paul presents Oh how I love my Kodak Easy Share! posted at Graveyard Rabbit of Sandusky Bay, saying, "Though Dorene from Ohio considers herself an amateur photographer, she enjoys the many features of her Kodak Easy Share camera."

Shani presents My Favorites in Genealogy Programs. posted at Rains Genealogy Vines, saying, "Not sure If I have done this right or not. It's my first Carnival. ""

Julie Goucher presents Carnival Of Genealogy 105:Favorite Current Technology posted at Anglers Rest, saying, "Iphone and iPad debate...."

Cheryl Schulte presents Genealogy Research Then or Now? posted at Two Sides of the Ocean, saying, "Is it more rewarding now to do genealogy research with all the resources available or was it more exciting in the past. I'll give you my opinion on this subject in this post."

Jasia presents Jasia’s Technology Review for 2011 posted at Creative Gene. Rather than limit myself to just one piece of technology, I decided to review several pieces of technology I'm using at present. Here's what I like, what I don't like, and what I'd like to see in the months to come. Check it out!

Geniaus presents The shiny new toy - Carnival of Genealogy posted at Geniaus, saying, "With imagination this shiny new toy will have many applications for genealogy"

Carol presents The Technology I Love (And, Sometimes Hate!), the 105th Carnival of Genealogy posted at Reflections From the Fence, saying, "My entry in the 105th COG tells you all about my current list of techy hardware, including my new small printer and new Xoom. My love/hate relationship with computers and hardware continues, as it probably always will. Don't think I can survive without it!"

Susan C Pentico presents Modern Gadgets we use in Genealogy posted at Ancestor Seekers by the Root Bound, saying, "Twisted but shared."

Denise Olson presents Send in the Clouds posted at Moultrie Creek Gazette, saying, "Dear COG, my favorite technology is clouds. No, mine aren't the white, fluffy kind you see in the sky. Mine are the geeky, industrial clouds that make all kinds of technology work."

Ellie presents Irish Genealogy Database posted at Ellie's Ancestors.

Ken Spangler presents The Technology I Use For My Genealogy posted at Beyond Fiction, saying, "My choices for technology have changed somewhat since my last submission but technology still plays an important role in my research. The key is using technology wisely!"

Cynthia Shenette presents My Favorite Current Technology: I ♥ My iPhone posted at Heritage Zen:, saying, "I love my iPhone! Besides my laptop, I probably use my iPhone more than any other technology device I own. I'd love to hear how other geneabloggers use their iPhone or iPod Touch. Do you have any great tips or apps to share with the rest of us? Please feel free to leave a comment at the end of my post!"

Frances Ellsworth presents My Favorite Technology for Genealogy posted at Branching Out Through The Years, saying, "This was fun. Made me think of what I do use, and opened my eyes as to what is out there I haven't tried. Thanks for the subject."

Bill West presents VIRTUALLY THERE: MEETING MY FELLOW GENEABLOGGERS posted at West in New England, saying ""Technology has helped me "meet" and learn from my fellow geneabloggers".

Sherry Stocking Kline presents Carnival of Genealogy – My Favorite Technology – I Love My Droid posted at Family Tree Writer, saying, "How Do I Love My Droid? Let Me Count the Ways! Nearly every day, my little Droid makes life easier, keeps me on track, and lets me work on my genealogy wherever I am!"

Greta Koehl presents 105th COG: My Lean, Mean Genealogy Machine posted at Greta's Genealogy Bog, saying, "I have described the technology I have and how I use it to the best of my techno-ignoramus abilities. Not a lot of gadgets or sophistication to the ones I use, but it works for me - right now. We'll see what the future brings."

Elizabeth O'Neal presents My Favorite Tech-du-Jour posted at Little Bytes of Life, saying, "Books and more books were threatening to crowd us right out of our house! But with my new e-reader, I can carry an entire library right in my pocket."

That concludes this edition of the Carnival of Genealogy. Did you read about any new gadgets you'd really like to have now? I was excited to see all the new technology being used by my genealogy blogging friends. If this was Christmastime I'd have a few more items to put on my list to Santa!

Call for Submissions! The topic for the next edition of the Carnival of Genealogy will be: The 4th Annual Swimsuit Edition! Yes folks, it's that time of year again. Memorial Day weekend is just around the corner. We'll all be getting out our bikinis and heading for the beaches and backyard pools. But before we do that let's dig into our photo archives and pull out pics of family members in their swimsuits. If your ancestors were camera shy, stop by an antique store and pick up a picture of someone else's ancestor in a swimsuit. We don't mind! You can read previous COG Swimsuit Editions here, 2008, 2009, 2010. The deadline for submissions is June 1st (no limit on the number of submissions).

Submit your blog article to the next edition of the Carnival of Genealogy using our carnival submission form. Please use a descriptive phrase in the title of any articles you plan to submit and/or write a brief description/introduction to your articles in the "comment" box of the blog carnival submission form. This will give readers an idea of what you've written about and hopefully interest them in clicking on your link. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.

Thanks for the poster, fM!




Technorati tags:

, .