Thursday, August 04, 2011

Carnival of Genealogy, 108th Edition

Welcome to the August 4, 2011 edition of the Carnival of Genealogy. The topic for this edition is: Food! Boy, do we ever have some great food stories for you. In fact, I guarantee your mouth will be watering by the time you finish reading all these tantalizing posts! This was a topic long overdue here on the COG. Food and families go hand in hand. Lots of great memories shared! I caution you not to read these articles right before dinner or you're bound to over eat. ;-)

Pour yourself a tall glass of ice cold water (anything else will mess with your taste buds) and come in out of the record breaking heat we've been having! The Carnival is back in town!

Nancy Messier presents Fresh or Stale, Buttered or Plain posted at My Ancestors and Me, saying, "I love popcorn! How about you? Come share childhood memories of my favorite snack."

Bill West presents BLUE-COLLAR CUISINE posted at West in New England, saying, "Sometimes both of our parents were working so our meals were usually fast and easy, But we always had enough to eat!"

Dorene Paul presents When the Reverend Ate the Whole Pie posted at Graveyard Rabbit of Sandusky Bay, saying, "Dorene from the Graveyard Rabbit of Sandusky Bay recalls the story of the time the minister ate a whole pie at her great grandparents house."

FootnoteMaven presents Sour Cream, Raisins And Rhubarb posted at footnoteMaven, saying, "This article is dedicated to my mother-in-law, Lucille Palmer. She must have been a good cook, for after 41 years of marriage I’m still hearing about it."

Debbie presents Who Are These People? posted at Mascot Manor Genealogy, saying, "A story (and recipes) of some of the people in my recipe box."

Judy Cole presents It Must Have been Something I Ate posted at The Genealogy Gals, saying, "Brillat-Savarin said, "Tell me what you eat and I will tell you what you are." He didn't have family history in mind, but he should have."

Jasia presents Duck Blood Soup, Breakfast of Champions! posted at Creative Gene. Oh the things we remember from our childhood. I can still taste that soup my mom used to make. She hated to make it but we loved to eat it! I doubt if I'd try it now for the first time but I grew up with it and liked it even before I knew what was in it. I wish I could have a bowl right now, lol!

Liz Haigney Lynch presents Ancestral Dish: CAKE! Edition posted at The Ancestral Archaeologist.

A. Morddel presents The Identity Wars - Part Fourteen posted at The French Genealogy Blog, saying, "How pie crusts saved my sanity."

Denise Levenick presents COG Food for Thought: The Day Herman Came to Visit posted at The Family Curator, saying, "The Family Curator remembers her mother as a good cook with a taste for the bizarre. In this post written for the Carnival of Genealogy: Food, Denise Levenick recalls the fad for Herman Cake and all things Herman made from the very soul of Herman, a sourdough starter born, bred, and blooming in the refrigerators of her youth. Bon Appetit!"

Julie Goucher presents Carnival Of Genealogy 108 - Food! posted at Anglers Rest, saying, "Foods and their links to the past."

Deb Ruth presents Summer Seafood Memories: 108th Carnival Of Genealogy - Food! posted at Adventures in Genealogy.

Carol presents My Love Affair With Peanut Butter, 108th Carnival Of Genealogy - Food! posted at Reflections From the Fence, saying, ""Step back now, hands off that jar!" This gal loves her peanut butter, admits to being slightly addicted, so, if you ask nice I might share, other wise, keep your hands off the jar and your silverware out!"

Nolichucky Roots presents Salad Oughtn't Wiggle posted at Nolichucky Roots, saying, "These salads still haunt my dreams - and not in a good way! But it was fun to think about them from a safe distance."

Cynthia Shenette presents A Little Slice of Heaven posted at Heritage Zen:, saying, "It's all about pie! Key Lime, pecan, blueberry, pumpkin. My husband thinks I'm obsessed. I think it's nothing a little piece of pie can't cure. You be the judge. Coconut cream, peach, strawberry rhubarb..."

Donna presents Mom’s Greatest One-Hit Wonders « What's Past is Prologue posted at What's Past is Prologue, saying, "I grew up with my mother's great cooking, but because it was always so good I don't remember many specifics. But her "one-hit wonders" - those creations that were never able to be duplicated - they are very memorable indeed!"

Denise Olson presents Southern Saute posted at Moultrie Creek Gazette, saying, "The north Georgia mountains were a cool retreat from summer's heat, but the fresh vegetables from the kitchen garden at the farm were the real stars of summer. This recipe remains one of my favorites - and not just for breakfast."

That concludes this edition of the Carnival of Genealogy. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. I'll bet you're craving something good to eat after reading about all those tasty foods. Before you go off to indulge in something to satisfy your cravings, check out the topic for the next edition of the COG... we're talking food for the soul!

Call for Submissions! The topic for the next edition will be: Our Ancestors' Place of Worship! Show us and tell us about the churches, synagogues, chapels, temples, grottoes, cathedrals, missions, kirks, mosques, revivals, or open air religious services where your family has worshiped. This edition of the COG will be guest hosted on a new blog, coming September 1st. No, I'm not going to tell you who the guest host is or what the blog is about. You'll just have to wait till the secret is revealed! (And no, it's not my blog.) So share with us your wonderful articles and submit them to the COG by the deadline, September 1st.

Submit your blog article to the next edition of the Carnival of Genealogy using our carnival submission form. Please use a descriptive phrase in the title of any articles you plan to submit and/or write a brief description/introduction to your articles in the "comment" box of the blog carnival submission form. This will give readers an idea of what you've written about and hopefully interest them in clicking on your link. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.




Technorati tags:

, .