Sunday, January 29, 2012

Bucket List GeneaMeme

I saw this meme going around and thought it would be fun to join in. The instructions are as follows:

The Bucket List GeneaMeme (courtesy of Geniaus)

The list should be annotated in the following manner:
Things you would like to do or find: Bold Type.
Things you haven’t done or found and don’t care to: plain type.
You are encouraged to add extra comments after each item.


  • The genealogy conference I would most like to attend is... the Southern California Genealogy Jamboree, to meet a lot of my online genealogy friends and to soak up some of the Cali sun! 
  • The genealogy speaker I would most like to hear and see is... Iwona Dakiniewicz. She's done research for me before but I'd like to hear her speak about the area of Poland my ancestors (and she herself) were/are from. 
  • The geneablogger I would most like to meet in person is... Steve Danko. We were separated at birth and one day we will meet again! 
  • The genealogy writer I would most like to have dinner with is... Denise Olsen, my genea-tech idol. 
  • The genealogy lecture I would most like to present is... none. I'm not into public speaking. 
  • I would like to go on a genealogy cruise that visits.... Poland! I'd love to take a cruise across the Atlantic to Gdansk, spend 2 weeks visiting my 4 ancestral villages in Poland, spend another 2 weeks sight seeing around Poland, and spend 2 more weeks photographing villages and doing research for my friends. Then I'd like to board the cruise ship and head home! 
  • The photo I would most like to find is... Szymon Lipa, my great grandfather. Or any photos of any of my great grandparents. 
  • The repository in a foreign land I would most like to visit is... whichever one in Poland that has the Państwowy Urząd Repatriacyjny that contains formation for my Mizera and Bober families. 
  • The place of worship I would most like to visit is... the 4 churches where my grandparents and great grandparents were baptized in Poland. 
  • The cemetery I would most like to visit is ... Wojnicz Cemetery in Wojnicz, Poland. 
  •  The ancestral town or village I would most like to visit is... Grabno, Wojnicz, Tarnow, Debica, Bobrowa, Nagoszyn, Podborze, Zgorsko. They are all villages of my ancestors and they are all very near each other so I might as well visit them all as long as I'm dreaming! 
  • The brick wall I most want to smash is... I don't have any brick wall ancestors. 
  • The piece of software I most want to buy is... Painter Essentials. 
  • The tech toy I want to purchase next is ... a new cell phone. I've filled the one I've got with apps and now I need one with more memory. 
  • The expensive book I would most like to buy is... R.L. Polk City of Detroit Directory for 1920. 
  • The library I would most like to visit is... Salt Lake City so I could photograph/download all the documents for all of my ancestors. I've given up hoping to see those images online.
  • The genealogy related book I would most like to write is... my family history, volumes 1, 2, 3, and 4. 
  • The genealogy blog I would most like to start would be about... not going there. I've got too many blogs to keep up with now, lol! 
  • The journal article I would most like to write would be about... the men I have loved. Don't count on that one ever being made public, lol! 
  • The ancestor I most want to meet in the afterlife is... my grandmother, Karolina Lipa Laska. She died young and never met most of her grandchildren, including me. She was also my only grandparent who was fluent in English so I won't need a translator, lol! 
And Donna Pointkouski added some items of her own. I'm borrowing a few...

  • The celebrity I’d most like to see on Who Do You Think You Are? is… Bobby Vinton because he's Polish and I'm a big fan of his. I'd like to see him go back to Poland to find his family roots. 
  • The genealogical records I would most like to see become available online are… all the records/films that the FHC has in their vault for Poland, Russian Poland, Austrian Poland, and Prussian Poland.
  • The family heirloom I would most like to own is… my grandmother's diamond necklace which was supposed to be handed down to me but wasn't.
  • The living cousin I would most like to find is… any of my maternal grandmother's sibling's offspring in Poland.
I don't think it's likely I'll achieve most of the things on this bucket list but hey, it's fun to dream!