Saturday, January 07, 2012

New Year's Resolutions Past and Present

I'm not always successful in achieving my New Year's resolutions but in 2011 I was.   My resolution for 2011 was to "fill in the holes" in my family tree. I didn't expect to fill in every hole of course, and honestly, I filled in more than I expected to. My crowning achievement was finding Julia Laska and knowing that my cousin Ray was doing the happy dance in heaven when I did. Julia was just one of many new names, dates, places, and/or events added to my family tree in 2011.

I like that kind of past-year review! :-)

Now it's time to look forward. I've been giving my genealogy some thought and much as I like researching, it's time I set a goal towards getting some of what research I've already done better organized. With that in mind, my New Year's resolution for 2012 is to get some of the digital audio recordings of my mother transcribed. I'd like to get them all done, of course, but I have no idea how long it will take me to do them so I don't know if it's reasonable to expect to get them all done this year. Therefore, I'm going to play it safe and just say "some".

Just curious... has anyone tried using voice recognition software on digital audio recordings? I'm wondering if it would work for my purposes. If you've had success with this, please let me know what VR software and microphone setup you used. Thanks!