Monday, June 26, 2006

Shutter Time

I have a love/hate relationship with weekends. I love when they're here and I hate when they're gone.

This past weekend was one of those that was so full it will take me a week to process it. You'll see remnants of it for some time to come.

I got a new camera last week. Yeah, another one. Just call me Gadget Girl... I love technology! I've been having a wonderful time with my Canon Rebel XT digital SLR for the past few months but I've discovered I need a companion device. The Rebel isn't ideal for all situations. It's quite large (and relatively heavy) making a tripod necessary in situations where I have to hold the camera for a long while. It's also obvious. Can't tuck it in my purse and pull it out for situations that call for spontaneity or subtlety.

I've been shopping around for a new point-and-shoot camera for quite some time... even before I got the Rebel. This week I finally spent the wad. I've now added an ultra slim Canon SD600 ELPH to my collection. It's small (fits easily in my purse or pocket), light weight (no muscle fatigue, yeah!), has an ISO 800 setting (really appreciated when I'm capturing all those microfilm images in a low-light setting ;-), it has lots of megapixels (6), and I can shoot a fair quality video for those moments better suited to motion than to still shots (without having to carry my digital video camera too!).

OK, so where's the pictures? You'll have to come back to see them. How's that for a teaser? I took so many photos this weekend I think my shutter finger has developed carpal tunnel syndrome. I need time to go through them all before I start posting them. But here's the low down... I went to the Burton on Saturday morning, and a neighborhood carnival that afternoon. Sunday I went to the Polish market in the neighborhood followed by the Michigan Challenge (hot air balloon fest in Howell) in the afternoon and local fireworks at night. I had a chance to try out all sorts off camera settings and got some great photos (if I do say so myself).

Oh yeah, and I got some genealogy research done too :-)


Technorati tags: ,