Sunday, July 16, 2006

Port Huron to Mackinac Race

The Port Huron to Mackinac race is well underway and at least one boat has already finished. I was there for the start yesterday... or on the shore 4.5 miles from the starting line anyway.

It was a hot morning with very little wind. I sat in the shade and the slight breeze off of Lake Huron was all I needed to feel like I was in heaven.

As I sat on the beach waiting for the start of the race I watched the freighters go by...

... and watched people relaxing.

And before I knew it, the race had begun. If you look closely at the tiny white triangles to the left and to the right of the leggy blonde lifeguard in the elevated chair you'll see some of the nearly 300 boats that took part in the race. (You'll have to click on the image to get in close enough to see the sails. Maybe next year I'll get a zoom lens...)

One of the things I will miss most when I move away from Michigan is the beauty of the Great Lakes. If you'd like to see a panoramic photo of my view from the beach at Lakeside Park on Lake Huron, you can check it out here.