Thursday, October 19, 2006

New Homes for my Photos

I've done a little research on some of the various online photo storage/sharing web sites. I've discovered that each one is a little different and each one has some things I like and some things I don't. For the most part, they all have some sort of free offering and a premium package that gives you more (more GB of storage in the case of Picasa Web Album or more upload bandwidth in the case of Flickr and PhotoBucket). After establishing free accounts at all three, I spent some time uploading photos to each and getting a feel for how they each worked.

I've decided that it's much more practical for me to upload my photos to one of these photo storage sites and link to it from my blog than to try to put a series of images in a blog post. Although I still plan to throw a single photo into my posts here and there... I'm a very visual person and if my blog goes too long without some color it begins to look too pale to me. Got to put some personality in here and there... it's like adding color to life!

So here's the low down: the majority of my photos will be uploaded to my Picasa Web Albums account at http://picasaweb.google.com/imjasia.
Gravestone photos will be uploaded to my Flickr account at http://www.flickr.com/photos/genealogy. (The really nice thing about uploading gravestone photos and adding captions is that they get indexed by the search engines... just go to Google and put in Edith Niedzwiecki, you'll see what I mean.)
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my PhotoBucket account yet. The thing about PhotoBucket is that I have to remember to login at least once every 90 days or they close the account. So I have to give some thought to what I put up there. I'll keep ya posted on that one.

I'll be updating the Creative Gene links (in the right column) in the next few days and adding these photo collection links there. Both collections also have RSS feeds and you can leave comments if you like. I always like to view photos in a slide show. If you like to do this too I recommend you raise the time per slide. I've been known to get a little wordy in my captions ;-)

This weekend Detroit and the Tigers ball club will be in the spotlight playing in the World Series. I have some photos of Detroit and Tigers at Comerica Park if you've a mind to get a jump on things! Go Tigers!

Enjoy!