Wednesday, March 21, 2007

There's A New Blog in Town

I'm pleased to announce that the parish of Sweetest Heart of Mary Catholic Church now has a blog :-) "Hearts", as the parish is affectionately called, is a small but lively Polish parish in downtown Detroit. Founded in 1889, it is the largest Catholic church in the Archdiocese of Detroit. It's a magnificent church with award-winning stained glass windows and a historic organ. But best of all, it has maintained it's Polish ethnic culture all these years.

I think most people would be surprised at how active this parish is. Clustered with St. Josaphat (Polish) and St. Joseph (German) parishes, it seems like there's always something going on. It's for this reason that I'm working with the folks at Hearts on using the internet to get the word out about all their parish activities and events. I've set up a blog for them at shofm.wordpress.com. I've also set up an online calendar for them. Several people in the parish have shown an interest in learning how to post information to the blog and I will be working with them to help them get acquainted with the process of blogging. In addition to regular parish announcements, I will announce any genealogy information I add to the parish web site there as well.

Father Mark Borkowski, Pastor of Hearts, truly enjoys his Polish heritage. He has a wonderful collection of Detroit Polonia memorabilia and he is a member of the Polish Genealogical Society of Michigan. He shares our love of genealogy. He writes a special section in the parish bulletin each week called "Strona Proboszcza" where he often describes Polish customs and holidays.

If you have an interest in learning more about the happenings at Hearts and/or Detroit Polonia, I invite you to visit the parish blog. As more parish members get the hang of blogging I expect you'll see more and more articles of interest posted there.