Monday, October 22, 2007

No NaNo For Me

In the last couple weeks, I've had a few inquiries about my participation in the NaNoWriMo competition which will be starting on November 1st. I thought I'd just let you all know that I will not be writing a novel this year. As much as I've enjoyed the two previous competitions I participated in, I find that I'm just not in a space to take the project on this year.

I'm still dealing with my mom's "stuff". While I make headway here and there I'm still not done with cataloging and preserving her legacy. It's a big project. It doesn't seem like it should be so time consuming but it is.

And then there's my RSI (repetitive stress injury to my arm). I've been able to adapt quite well but I'm not as efficient as I was before. Everything takes me longer than it used to and I was always behind on everything as it was. (I have a habit of taking on too many things.) I just can't tackle writing another novel right now.

I have to stop starting new projects when I have so many unfinished ones that need my attention. I currently have 3 books that I need to see finished... the NaNoWriMo novel I wrote in 2005 (a historical fiction novel starring my maternal grandparents), the NaNoWriMo novel I wrote in 2006 (a historical fiction novel starring my paternal great grandparents), and the family cookbook I started earlier this year.

The cookbook has barely been started, so it has a long way to go.

My two novels ... the first drafts are complete but they're definitely not ready for publishing. They need editing and re-writes. The thing about writing a novel in a month is that you have to rush or you won't get it done in 30 days. I know I need to add more "color" to my novels. You just don't have the time to get the details in and get them right when you're up against that kind of a deadline.

As much as I would love to write another novel (I have ideas for at least 3 more swimming around in my head), I know I need to actually get something published before starting yet another book. So, no NaNo for me this year... but there's always next year!