Friday, May 29, 2009

Taking Things to Task

If you're like me, you can't get through the week without a task/to-do list. I've long been teased for making lists, even before I got old and forgetful ;-) I simply can't keep organized without them.

Over the years, I've tried a number of task/list software programs on my PC and on my PDA/cell phone. I liked most of them to begin with but didn't stick with any of them for long. Usually, that was because they were more inconvenient than traditional paper and pencil, or because they they were too simple or too complex. I've tried a couple project software programs too, but those were definitely more robust than I wanted to deal with. I really just need lists to remind me what to do and sometimes when I have to do them by. I don't put much detail into them.

The problem with stand-alone programs is you have to remember to launch them. I know, I know, that seems like a simple enough thing to remember. But when you use multiple computers like I do, it can be a challenge and inconvenience to remember to fire up the same one each day just to check a to-do list. I don't use all of my computers every day.

Just a few days ago, Google added a Task List to the many fine features available on their calendar. I love the Google Calendar and have been a faithful user of it for some time now. And from time to time, I've used the calendar to remind myself to send a birthday card, renew a domain name, or write a COG post. So you can imagine my delight when I discovered the new Task List feature. It rocks!

As you can see, it fits in nicely on the right side of the calendar page. It's easy to turn on by just clicking the "Tasks" link on the left side of the calendar page. This same task list is also available in Gmail Labs. The beauty of it is it's available from any computer that accesses the internet :-) And because I'm already accessing the Google Calendar every day I don't have to launch a separate software program :-) The Task feature has a number of options including indentation, move up, move down, notes, and more.

I think I've finally found the task list software that will take the place of good old pencil and paper! Check it out and see if you don't find it useful too :-)