Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Dinner GeneaBlogger Style

I've not had much experience meeting in person people I first met online. But I've followed a number of genealogy bloggers for quite some time and have learned oodles about their lives and their families. Through the public blog posts they've written and the private email we've shared, I've come to feel a deep affection for several of them. As a result, I had no hesitation at all in agreeing to have dinner last Sunday with Kathryn and Becky. I just knew we'd hit it off, and we did.

I've not met a lot of geneabloggers in person. In fact, meeting Kathryn and Becky doubled the number I've had the pleasure to meet (the other two being Apple and Cheryl). I'll admit to feeling a bit envious of those who got together at the recent SoCal GenJam. But meeting with just a couple people over dinner is, I believe, an even nicer opportunity to spend time together. So I want to send out a big THANK YOU to Kathryn for the invitation and for making all the arrangements and to Becky for making the long drive up from Indiana. I had a wonderful time with you guys!

I'm sure those of you reading this post are wondering what and who we talked about. Well, let me put it this way. We didn't solve all the problems of the world but we did take on the genealogy issues of the day with gusto! After more than 4 hours of talking we had to part ways with some issues left unresolved. Three issues in particular still need to be addressed. Kathryn, I haven't forgotten about name thing or the Indiana County thing... and Becky and Kathryn, I will write the blog post you urged me to write regarding the Library of Michigan. But not tonight.

Thanks for the memories!