Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Plan, A Plan, My Kingdom For A Plan!

I need a plan for my genealogy research/writing for 2011 to participate in COG#101. Anyone got one they'd care to share? Normally I wouldn't have a problem coming up with one of my own but I find myself at a potential crossroads in life and I just don't know how things will play out. 

I'm in the process of buying a new (to me) home 30 miles away from my current home. We're downsizing to an "empty nester" condo. It's a short sale so it's a gamble. I don't know if the banks involved will agree to our offer or not. The latest feedback I've gotten is that I should have a decision by mid January (Yikes! They initially told me to figure on April/May). If I get the home it will mean I will have to scramble and focus all of my time and effort on the move for probably the next 3 months or so. 

If the short sale falls through, I'll be back to shopping for a new home and trying to fix up our current one to sell. Either way, my genealogy hobby won't be getting a lot of my attention in the near future. 

A big complication is that I'm a pack rat. So is my hubby. We've been in our current home for 22 years, raised our kids there. You wouldn't pick up on our pack-rat affliction by just walking through our house. The "stuff" is for the most part hidden in the attic, garage, basement, and one spare bedroom. BUT THERE IS 22 YEARS OF "STUFF" HERE!!! And there's a lot of painting to do and odd little things that need to be repaired/replaced before we can put the house on the market. And then there's the move itself. I haven't had to coordinate a move in 22 years so I'm a little rusty at it ;-)

If I'm totally honest here, genealogy research/writing isn't even on my radar screen at the moment. I'm wondering if I'll have to ask for a volunteer to host the February and maybe March COG editions in case I can't make the time to host them myself. I'm telling myself, "now, now, Jasia, don't get ahead of yourself" but it is a possibility. 

Excuses, excuses! I still need a plan to submit to COG #101 so here's what I'm going with, lame though it may be. My genealogy research plan for 2011 is to "fill in the holes" of at least one line of my family tree. I don't believe I can take any of my lines back any farther than I already have but I am missing documents for a  few individuals on each of my branches and I'd like to come up with those missing vital records. My writing plan for 2011 is to keep posting to Creative Gene, LOL! If I can add content of value here over the next year I'll be content with that. Much as I'd like to plan to write up my family history, I'm not at all confident that I can take on that big a project in the near future. 

Anyone got any good advice about home downsizing for a lifelong pack rat?