Monday, June 04, 2012

Carnival of Genealogy, 118th Edition

Welcome to the June 4, 2012 edition of the Carnival of Genealogy. The topic for this edition is: Reading! If you count reading among your hobbies you'll be absolutely delighted with all the submissions we have. We get it. We are just like you in that we all love reading. It's fascinating to discover the books that influenced our early lives and how our taste in reading material changed over the years. Come read all the cherished memories we have of books we've read. I'll bet it will bring back memories of books you've read too.

I found it endearing, how many people admit to reading in bed under the covers as a child, or in a tree, or while on vacation. Who do you think spent time reading at the bowling alley or while doing dishes? And who appreciates just holding the old books handed down to her from her ancestors? The answers to those questions and more are in the submissions for this edition of the COG. Come along then, pour yourself a nice tall glass of ice tea... perhaps with a sprig of mint, and pull up chair. The Carnival is back in town!

Dorene Paul presents My Family Has Always Loved Reading! posted at Graveyard Rabbit of Sandusky Bay, saying, "Dorene from Ohio's family enjoyed reading so much that her brother now writes books for children."

Margie A. Rennick presents Reading! A Family History of Books posted at Ancestor Chase.

Carol presents 118th Carnival Of Genealogy :: Reading! posted at Reflections From the Fence, saying, "Summer reading, well, research books, of course. I share a bit of how some of them come to be on the library shelves, and more."

Kristin Cleage Williams presents We Read, We Write, We Print and We Publish. posted at Finding Eliza, saying, "We read together, we read to each other, we read on our own and we take photographs of it. A giant montage of reading family members for this COG."

Julie Hogston presents Reading! Almost an Addiction! posted at Wandering Roots, saying, "I think I must be a book worm! Looking over what I have read, I might even be a book geek! Where did my enjoyment of reading come from? Read on and find out!"

Jasia presents Reading, Then and Now posted at Creative Gene. I was an anomaly in my family, the only one who liked to read for pleasure. Fortunately, I had supportive parents. They didn't understand my love for books but they supported my reading habit in their own way. Come see what I read as a child, a teenager, and as an adult...

Dawn Westfall presents COG: The Love of Reading posted at Wisteria, saying, "Ah, reading! One of my absolute favorite pastimes. And Jasia wants to know my family’s history of reading? How ironic that on the third anniversary of my father’s death, I am asked that question, for he was influential in the development of my love of reading."

Katie presents 118th Carnival of Genealogy: Reading! posted at You Are Where You Came From, saying, "Writing about how my love of reading has connected me to the grandmother I barely remember."

Charles Hansen presents Carnival of Genealogy Reading posted at Mikkel's Hus, saying, "Well I don't have a lot of time to read books anymore, but do read a lot of blogs every day, over 300 in my Google Reader now."

Pauleen Cass presents Carnival of Genealogy 118th edition: Reading posted at Family history across the seas.

Joan Hill presents 118th COG: Memories of Two Books posted at Roots'n'Leaves, saying, "Once nudged onto this pathway of reading, these two books impacted me throughout my life. How I write, what I like, how I see the world have been molded an elocution book and a book of poetry."

Julie Goucher presents Anglers Rest: Carnival Of Genealogy 118:Reading posted at Anglers Rest, saying, "The beginnings of my love of books"

Cheryl Schulte presents The Library is my Friend posted at Two Sides of the Ocean, saying, "My love of books has been life long and has given me many lasting memories."

Cynthia Shenette presents Books, Books, Books! posted at Heritage Zen:, saying, "My taste in "literature" may have changed over the years, but my love for books has remained the same!"

J. M. presents, Three Generations of Books posted at Tracing My Roots, saying, "Three generations of women, three very special books."

Janet Iles presents Reading and books for the 118th Carnival of Genealogy posted at Janet the researcher, saying, "Janet felt she would be remiss if she didn't talk about reading as she worked for over thirty years in the local public library."

That concludes this edition of the Carnival of Genealogy. I truly hope you enjoyed reading about reading! I'm giving a shout out here to my dear friend, footnoteMaven, who I know would have participated in this edition if she were able. She is a true lover of books, a reader at heart, and has quite a collection of books, so I hear. ;-) Dear friend, we're thinking of you and sending along our hopes and prayers that you will heal well and soon. In the mean time, come entertain yourself by reading about our reading habits! We miss you!

Call for Submissions! The topic for the next edition of the Carnival of Genealogy will be: The 5th Annual Swimsuit Edition! Yes folks, it's that time again. It's time to think of summer and lazy days spent at the pool or beach. Dig out those wonderful swimsuit pictures of days gone by and share them with us! The deadline for submissions will be July 1st.

Submit your blog article to the next edition of the Carnival of Genealogy using our carnival submission form. Please use a descriptive phrase in the title of any articles you plan to submit and/or write a brief description/introduction to your articles in the "comment" box of the blog carnival submission form. This will give readers an idea of what you've written about and hopefully interest them in clicking on your link. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page 

Share |

Technorati tags: , .