Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Carnival of Genealogy, 119th Edition

Welcome to the July 4, 2012 edition of the Carnival of Genealogy. Happy Independence Day to my friends across America, a belated Happy Canada Day to my friends up north, and to my friends in other parts of the world, I hope you are enjoying summer! This edition of the COG is especially timely for summertime reading because this is the very popular annual swimsuit edition! We have a wide variety of fun summertime pictures that I know you will enjoy. And you will once again be amazed at how swimsuit fashions have evolved over the years. There are some really, really good period photos featured here!

Much of the U.S. is currently experiencing a doozy of a heat wave and many folks will be heading out to the pool or beach to cool off. Good for you! Make some great memories with your family and friends, take lots of pictures, and don't forget the sunscreen! For those of you staying home, I invite you to pour yourself a tall glass of lemonade, grab a seat in the shade (or better yet in the air conditioning if you have it), and come along and be transported to another day and time when there was no air conditioning and summer heat waves could be as brutal as the one we're having now. Let's take a peek at those who headed for the beach... the Carnival is back in town!


Linda Gartz presents Swimsuit Issue - The Mankini posted at Family Archaeologist, saying, "The Swimsuit Issue for 2012 at Family Archaeologist features two young men in the latest beach fashion circa 1928-30 -- The Mankini!"


Dorene Paul presents John and Linda Paul with sonTommy at the Beach posted at Graveyard Rabbit of Sandusky Bay, saying, "Dorene from Ohio shows us a photo of her in laws, and her future husband, as they enjoy the beach in northern Ohio."

J.M. presents A Day at the Beach, Not Quite During Summertime posted at Tracing My Roots, saying, "A remembrance of a day spent at the beach, in a swimsuit, but not quite in summertime!"

Colleen Pasquale presents Carnival of Genealogy - Swimsuits posted at Leaves & Branches, saying, "My mother loved swimming. On hot summer's day my parents went on a picnic and before the day ended my mother saved my father's life."

Carol presents The 119th Carnival of Genealogy, The 5th Annual Swimsuit Edition! posted at Reflections From the Fence, saying, "I had to close my eyes when I hit the publish button on this post. Really, I did!"

Jasia presents I'm No Kate Upton But I Was Cute! posted at Creative Gene. Oh the magic of summer for children at the beach. I have lots of happy memories of playing at the beach when I was a child but not a lot of photos. Come see this rare one of me posing for the camera on a beach in Canada!

Julie Hogston presents Pictures from the 1930's check out those suites! posted at Wandering Roots, saying, "Some old suites from the past!"

Heather Wilkinson Rojo presents 2012 Annual Swimsuit Edition of Genealogy posted at Nutfield Genealogy, saying, "Last year I complained that I didn't have any photos of ancestors in swimsuits, but then this year I remembered this collection of photos of my Dad and his buddies at their favorite swimming beach in Beverly, Massachusetts in the 1940s when they were just kids."

Jenny Lanctot presents Gramma was a Hottie! posted at Are My Roots Showing?.

Kristin Cleage Williams presents Swim Suit Edition – Carnival of Genealogy #119 posted at Finding Eliza, saying, "Four generations of family swimmers in pools, lakes and oceans participate in this years COG swim suit edition."

Charles Hansen presents Carnival of Genealogy #119 Swimsuit Edition posted at Mikkel's Hus, saying, "Well my swimsuit is hard to see under water, but we collected a lot of lake weeds for mulch in the garden."

Dawn Westfall presents COG: Wading Beauties in the Willamette posted at Wisteria, saying, "Wading beauties instead of bathing beauties, but I think these photographs still fit the theme. Taken in the early 1900s of cousins in Oregon, they were sent back home to relatives in Kentucky."

John Newmark presents Carnival of Genealogy: 2012 Swimsuit Edition posted at TransylvanianDutch, saying, "For this year's edition I submit the swimsuit fashion of 75 years ago, as presented by my paternal grandparents on their honeymoon."

Cynthia Shenette presents Taking A Dip posted at Heritage Zen:, saying, "Last year the girls got to have all the fun. This year the guys get their turn. The weather is HOT, and it's time to take a dip!"

Cynthia Shenette presents Bathing Beauty (Mystery Photo #12) - Mystery Monday posted at Faces of Worcester Polonia, saying, "Can you help me to identify the bathing beauty in this mystery photograph? I've started a new blog, Faces of Worcester Polonia, to try to identify the people in the "mystery photographs" in my collection. If you know someone of Polish descent with ties to Worcester, MA send them my way!"

That concludes this edition of the Carnival of Genealogy. Did you enjoy it? I hope so. And I hope when you are done reading here you will put on your Speedo or bikini and go out and enjoy the summer weather!

Call for Submissions! The topic for the next edition of the Carnival of Genealogy will be: Business and Commerce. Did someone in your family own a small business? Was there a favorite clothing store, ice cream shop, shoe store, restaurant, gas station, etc. that your family frequented? Did you operate a lemonade stand when you were a child? This time around we are going to be researching small businesses and recording family memories of such. Bring all your stories of neighborhood businesses, as well as tales about your uncle who was a snake oil salesmen, your grandma who used to sell her apple pies at the fair, and your cousin who got rich selling pet rocks! Write 'em up and submit them to the COG... who knows, maybe we can kick start this sagging economy with some inspirational (or humorous ;-) stories! The deadline for submissions is August 1st.

Submit your blog article to the next edition of the Carnival of Genealogy using our carnival submission form. Please use a descriptive phrase in the title of any articles you plan to submit and/or write a brief description/introduction to your articles in the "comment" box of the blog carnival submission form. This will give readers an idea of what you've written about and hopefully interest them in clicking on your link. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page  

Share |

Technorati tags: , .