Friday, December 22, 2006

Christmas Around the World

From cold turkeys to white kangaroos - CNN.com:
"The pervasiveness of western culture means that perceptions of Christmas are in many ways dominated by western customs. Santa Claus, roast turkey, carols, decorated Christmas trees, nativity plays -- these are the defining images of Christmas in Europe and the U.S., and as a result have become the images most commonly associated with the festive season.

Christmas, however, is celebrated in many different ways around the world, with each country and culture marking the occasion by mixing familiar celebrations with its own colorful traditions." [More]
Check out this article and enjoy the brief overview of Christmas customs around the world. As much as I'm fascinated by the celebrations in other countries I think I'll stay home this year ;-) Give me my good old Ameri-Pol Christmas anytime.

What's Ameri-Pol you ask? Christmas at our house has strong Polish overtones. I'll write more about how I have celebrated Christmas over the years in another post (if I get time!).

Merry Christmas! Wesolych Swiat!

(Click to view larger image)

I bought this ornament in honor of the terrific season the Detroit Tigers had this year. They didn't win the World Series but they made a good showing for themselves just getting there. Go Tigers!