Thursday, April 12, 2007

Genetic Genealogy for Newbies

I keep getting curiouser and curiouser about genetic genealogy, you know, DNA testing for genealogy purposes. I know one of these days I'm going to up and get it done. That is... when I can devote the time to reading a good book or two on the subject so that I will understand what the heck a halogroup is and what my results mean when I get them. Then I will ante up the moola and play the game. In the mean time I nibble away at the idea, reading an occasional blog post on the subject but not really understanding much of what I read.

A few days ago I took another nibble on the idea. This time I posted a question on Blaine's The Genetic Genealogist blog. Blaine was wonderful... very quick and helpful answering my question. (And I even understood the answer!) So I asked him another question, and then another. We had a very nice and informative email Q&A session and I got my newbie questions answered just like that! If you'd like to read our Q&A session you can do so on Blaine's blog. He wrote up the first part today, Genetic Genealogy Advice for Newbies, Part 1. Check it out and don't say I never let you peek in my email box ;-)

And now I'm thiiiiiiiiiiis much closer to anteing up for the test and learning more about my ancestors ;-) Thanks Blaine!

Read my previous posts on DNA testing for genealogy:

Polish DNA Project
DNA Gives Wheres But Not Whys