Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Carnival of Genealogy, 116th Edition

Welcome to the April 4, 2012 edition of the Carnival of Genealogy. The topic for this edition is: Women's History Month! This has become an annual tradition here at the COG, to honor and remember women from our family trees. This month you will meet some more amazing women who are fondly remembered and greatly admired. This is such a great way to pay tribute to the women who came before us. Come along now and meet the women we've chosen to share with you. I think you'll like them! Pour yourself a... let's see, Spring is here so let's launch the season with an Arnold Palmer. Come on then. Bring your drink. The carnival is back in town!

Dorene presents Augusta Florentine Jaensch Piehl, 1858-1906 posted at Graveyard Rabbit of Sandusky Bay, saying, "Dorene from Ohio tells us about her great great grandmother, Augusta Piehl, who came to the U.S. from Germany in 1880."

Carol presents Lorena Estelle Eley Norsworthy Dews Harlow Lenahan Collins::116th COG posted at Reflections From the Fence, saying, "Come on over to Reflections and meet my great grandmother, married 5, yes FIVE times. She outlived 3, divorced one and no one knows what happened to hubby # 5. And, even after researching her since 1991, I just this week discovered a little surprise while writing this COG entry. Who says your research is done?? HAHA. Lorena is waiting, come meet her."

Pauleen Cass presents Carnival of Genealogy – 116th edition – Catherine McCorkindale posted at Family history across the seas.

Frances Owen presents What did Mary do on Monday? Women’s work (Picture/Story for Women's History Month.) posted at A Rebel Hand, saying, "My great-grandmother smiles at the camera as she hangs out the washing. But washday was 'the most hated task' most women had to carry out in the 19th century. I can machine wash a load of dirty clothes in less than an hour. What was it women had to do that took up the whole day? And what equipment did they use?"

Susan Clark presents Lives Entwined - A Friend of the Family posted at Nolichucky Roots, saying, "While reflecting about women's lives this month I realized how key friendships had been in my own life and those of many of my female relatives. While I hold my family most dear, I could not have managed the challenging times of my life without the support and love of friends. I suspect my grandmother felt that way about her friend."

Linda McCauley presents Documenting the Details: Aunt Harriet posted at Documenting the Details, saying, "Harriet married later in life and had no children. I wanted to tell her story because she has no descendants to do it."

Lisa Wallen Logsdon presents COG 116 - Women's History Month: Levina Newby posted at Old Stones Undeciphered, saying, "If I have an ancestor who wants very much to be remembered by her descendants, Levina is certainly that ancestor! This is the second time I've had to ask myself, concerning my 3rd great grandmother Levina, "Just what are the chances of THAT?"."

Jasia presents Ceily, My Role Model posted at :: C R E A T I V E G E N E ::, saying, "Come meet this woman who played a special role in my life. I looked up to her and admired her and wanted to be just like her when I grew up. She brought sunshine and every kind of happiness to my childhood."

Janet Iles presents Janet the researcher: Carnival of Genealogy: Women's History Month 2012 posted at Janet the researcher, saying, "While sharing what she knows about her great-grandmother Sarah Dudley, nee Mucklow, Janet realizes that there are some records that she needs to obtain. Will she ever be able to prove that Sarah had 22 children?"

Nancy presents A Biography from the Heart: Emma Bickerstaff Meinzen posted at My Ancestors and Me, saying, "Sometimes we write bare bones biographies with names, dates, and locations. Sometimes - the best times - we write biographies from the heart."

Cynthia Shenette presents The Opal Ring posted at Heritage Zen:, saying, "My Aunt Helen was a successful business woman, but I wonder what her life would have been like if she had chosen a different path and been allowed to follow her heart..."

Joan Hill presents Carnival of Genealogy, #116: Picture and Memories of Elizabeth foss McPherson posted at Roots'n'Leaves, saying, "The ever changing mist of childhood memories merge with family stories to bring life and form to my grandmother Elizabeth Alfreda McPherson, nee Foss."

Julie Goucher presents Anglers Rest: Carnival Of Genealogy 116 - Picture/Story for Women's History Month. posted at Anglers Rest, saying, "The story of Emma Jane West."

That concludes this edition of the Carnival of Genealogy. I sure hope you enjoyed meeting these wonderful women as much as I did! This is one of my favorite editions of the COG each year because the participants always do such a fantastic job of making the women they honor come to life. They are born again on the pages of our blogs and somewhere in the heavens they are no doubt blushing over the fuss being made of them. Here's to you, ladies, we honor you and we won't let you be forgotten!

Once again I find myself having to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced in submitting your articles via the blogcarnival.com web site. It appears they are still having technical difficulties over there. If you are ever in doubt about whether your submission has been received, please don't hesitate to send me an email to give me a head's up (imjasia at yahoo dot com). So far, the articles all seem to be coming through even though there are no emails going out to confirm that. I appreciate your patience through this difficult (and hopefully SOON to be over) time.

Call for Submissions! The topic for the next edition of the Carnival of Genealogy will be: 1940! Have you found a family member in the newly released 1940 U.S. Census? If so, what have you learned about them? No family member in the 1940 Census? No problem. Write what you know of your family back in 1940 anyway. Let's take the COG back to 1940 and create a history lesson that brings our families to life! The deadline for submissions will be May 1st.

Submit your blog article to the next edition of the Carnival of Genealogy using our carnival submission form. Please use a descriptive phrase in the title of any articles you plan to submit and/or write a brief description/introduction to your articles in the "comment" box of the blog carnival submission form. This will give readers an idea of what you've written about and hopefully interest them in clicking on your link. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.