Friday, May 04, 2012

Carnival of Genealogy, 117th Edition

Welcome to the May 4, 2012 edition of the Carnival of Genealogy. The topic for this edition is: 1940! What a year 1940 was. The United States was coming out of the Great Depression and on the verge of WWII. It was a presidential election year, one in which Franklin D. Roosevelt (incumbent) ran for an unprecedented 3rd term as president. He won by a comfortable margin over Wendell Willkie, his Republican opponent, and became the only president in U.S. history to serve a third term. Of course there were many other significant events that happened in the year 1940, including the 1940 U.S. Census which occurred in April of that year. Participants in this edition of the COG were challenged to write something about their families in 1940.

To set the mood for this edition of the COG you may want to turn on the radio to your favorite oldies radio station from 1940 (or listen over the internet), enjoy a Sloe Gin Fizz or a Tom Collins which were popular cocktails in 1940, and reflect on what impact the year/decade 1940 had on your family. Come along with us back in time to 1940... the Carnival is back in town!

Charles Hansen presents 1940 Census for the Carnival of Genealogy #117 posted at Mikkel's Hus, saying, "Since I live close to where my dad lived in 1940 finding him in the 1940 census was pretty easy. Not too many surprises, but well worth the time to find him."

Amanda presents Tombstone Tuesday: Levi Marion Shelton on the 1940 Census posted at ABT UNK, saying, "Levi Marion Shelton (1863-1941) is one of my maternal great-great-grandfathers and the only g-g-g still alive in 1940. He was the third search I did in the 1940 Census (after finding my parents and grandparents) and I was lucky that he was asked the supplemental questions."

Bill West presents THE 1940 U.S. CENSUS: THE WHITES posted at West in New England, saying, "I know very little about the family of my Mom's father. I was hoping that the release of the 1940 Census would help me find out more."

Jasia presents My Family in the 1940 U.S. Census, Part 1, My Family in the 1940 U.S. Census, Part 2, and My Family in the 1940s,  posted at Creative Gene. Seldom have I been as inspired to write a blog post for the COG as I was for this 1940s edition. I was so inspired I had to write 2 about my family and one that features scrapbook pages I created over the years about the decade of the 1940s. What fun it was to look back at that time and my family in that context! I learned more about my family than I expected to in the 1940 Census and answered a nagging question I had, once and for all.

Jasia presents Assumption Sisters in the 1940 U.S. Census posted at The Catholic Gene. In looking for my own family in the 1940 Census, I came across a listing of the nuns for Assumption BVM parish, the neighborhood church and school my mom and her family attended. I was a little surprised to see the sisters enumerated by their birth names as I'd always seen them listed by their chosen religious names in past censuses. I decided right then and there that I wanted to extract their names and publish them on the blog so that others searching for them might find them through search engines. Here's to the good sisters of Assumption BVM!

Dorene Paul presents I Found My Parents and Grandparents in the 1940 Census! posted at Graveyard Rabbit of Sandusky Bay, saying, "Dorene from Ohio found her parents and grandparents all in the same Ohio county in the 1940 Census."

Donna presents Time Travel to 1940 posted at What's Past is Prologue, saying, "(Jasia, use my full name in the post...) What if we had a time machine to go back to 1940? With a little imagination, we do! I travelled back to 1940 to find my young parents and grandparents in "Time Travel to 1940"."

Deb Ruth presents Doing the 1940 U.S. Census Victory Dance! posted at Adventures in Genealogy, saying, "Family mystery solved with 1940 Census record. Still doing the happy dance!"

Julie Hogston presents Oh Where Oh Where can my Nana be in 1940? posted at Wandering Roots, saying, "After doing some indexing I thought I would try and find my Grandparents in the 1940 Census. What did I find? Everything but Nana!"

Shelley Bishop presents Finding Reeb's Restaurant in the 1940 Census posted at A Sense of Family, saying, "On my census journey into my grandparents' 1940 Columbus neighborhood, I found the restaurant and friends who were a big part of their lives--and mine."

Nancy Messier presents It Was Ironing Day, the Day the Census Taker Came posted at My Ancestors and Me, saying, "What day of the week did the census taker go to your ancestor's home in 1940, and what might your ancestor have been doing? Read about census day in the home of the Doyle family."

Julie Goucher presents Anglers Rest: Carnival Of Genealogy 117 - 1940! posted at Anglers Rest, saying, "Better luck next time!"

Kristin Cleage Williams presents 1940 Census – The Grahams | Finding Eliza posted at Finding Eliza, saying, "My mother's family and her east side Detroit neighborhood as described in the 1940 Census. What I learned, what I already knew and what questions it raised. With timely family photos."

Kristin Cleage Williams presents 1940 Census – The Albert B. and Pearl (Reed) Cleages | Finding Eliza posted at Finding Eliza, saying, "My father's family on the old west side of Detroit in the 1940 census. The last census before the children were grown and with families and lives of their own. It surprised me how close all the extended Cleage family lived to each other."

Kristin Cleage Williams presents 1940 Census – Chester and Theola (Davenport) Williams posted at Finding Eliza, saying, "Found my in-laws in rural Bowie Arkansas in the 1940 Census. They were just starting their family. Costs were low and so were wages."

Nancy Fermazin presents What I Learned from the 1940 Census about My Mom and Dad posted at CASH SEEKER 2.

Joan Hill presents Carnival of Genealogy, #117: 1940! posted at Roots'n'Leaves, saying, "Fanciful Jasmine Jasia, secret head of Cog, lays on an assignment that goes Pouf!"

Janet Iles presents Janet the researcher: Carnival of Genealogy - Finds on the 1940 US census posted at Janet the researcher, saying, "Not wanting to be left out of the excitement about the release of the 1940 United States census, Janet decided to find two great uncles on the census. This led her to learning more about each of them."

Susan A. Kitchens presents Articles | 1940 Census and an interview with Mama posted at Family Oral History Using Digital Tools, saying, "Who knew that those two little boxes could elicit SO many stories? I used the 1940 Census as an oral history conversation sparker with my mother. This post describes the entire process — from working with the census, interview set-up, recording on an iPad, to some of the topics that came up. And, of course, the amazing wealth of info that emerged from those two little boxes on the census."

Carol presents 117th Carnival of Genealogy, 1940! Fibbin' Fun posted at Reflections From the Fence, saying, "I have barely had time to search the 1940, but, I have managed to find a few of our direct ancestors. So, my submission ends up being a study of my finds so far from the 1940 census. Rather, it is a study of the fibs I have found in the 1940 census, so far."

Sherry Stocking Kline presents Carnival of Genealogy – Carrie Breneman Jones posted at Family Tree Writer, saying, "This photo of my grandmother, Carrie Esther Breneman Jones is one of my favorites, as it looks like my grandma as I remember her looking. And, she looks like she was having a good time with whoever was taking the photograph as well. My Grandma Carrie was a very 'crafty' lady who loved to crochet, paint, and make things with her hands!"

Cynthia Shenette presents A Window in Time, April 11, 1940 posted at Heritage Zen:, saying, "Have you ever wished you could travel back in time? Dust off your saddlebacks, and return with me to the day in 1940 when the census enumerator came to call..."

That concludes this edition of the Carnival of Genealogy. Wasn't it wonderful? I really enjoyed it and was quite entertained by the fictional entries we had this time around too. If you haven't looked for your family in the 1940 Census yet, maybe you'll be inspired to now. Great writing everyone!

Call for Submissions! The topic for the next edition of the Carnival of Genealogy will be: Reading! Do you come from a family of readers? What kinds of reading material was typically found around your house when you were growing up... fiction books, comic books, poetry, the Bible, magazines, cookbooks, prayer books??? What do you like to read now? Do you give books as gifts? Are you a fan of eBooks? The lazy, hazy days of summer are right around the corner and many of us will be reaching for a good book to read on the hammock or on the beach. What do you recommend? Write up your thoughts and your family's history of reading and submit your article to the Carnival of Genealogy... that will give us all some good reading for the summer days ahead! Deadline for submissions is June 1st.

Submit your blog article to the next edition of the Carnival of Genealogy using our carnival submission form. Please use a descriptive phrase in the title of any articles you plan to submit and/or write a brief description/introduction to your articles in the "comment" box of the blog carnival submission form. This will give readers an idea of what you've written about and hopefully interest them in clicking on your link. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page

Share |

Technorati tags: , .